our pug wakes up early every morning sometimes 2,3,or 4 a.m. what can i give her to get her to sleep longer

we tried benedryl per the vet but were afraid to use it

Asked by Member 1069173 on Nov 7th 2011 in Answers

Answers

First of all, why is she waking up? Does she need to go outside? If that is the case you perhaps should walk her later in the evening.
Drugging your dog so she will sleep later is certainly NOT the answer!
You don't say how old your dog is, but having a dog is very much like having a baby or young child. They DO sometimes wake in the night, especially if they are young and need to go outside to relieve themselves! Many of my younger dogs need to go out at least once during the night... I just get up and take them out, then we both go back to sleep.
I would try more exercise for her and/or maybe feeding her earlier in the afternoon so she doesn't need to get up so early, OR perhaps even putting a blanket over her crate at night in case the light is waking her up.
It is important to find out WHY before you drug her to get her to sleep!

Starbutt

I AGREE NEVER EVER DRUG YOU DOG TO SLEEP PERIOD.

Would you give a small child or any child any age a drug to make them sleep if you can't find oout what your dog is waking up for maybe a vet can help you. But if you still wish to use a drug I think you need to look for something else or maybe this is not the dog for you. You don't say it is a pup but being it seems you have not had it long I would assume it is a pup.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 11/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer