Our neutered male standard poodle often urinates on his front legs. Any training ideas to correct the problem ?

Asked by Member 543834 on Dec 10th 2007 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Shinji

Shinji used to be really about about squatting to pee instead of lifting his leg. He would get pee all over the backs of his front legs, and then it would pool around his paws. It was gross.

I got sick of having to wash his legs and paws every time he peed, so I tried this and it worked. Whenever I saw him squat, I would say "NO" to startle him, and then I would grab his leg and lift it while the stream was still going. While he was peeing with his leg up, I would verbally praise him. When he finished, I gave him a small treat. It worked relatively quickly, but Shinji was a puppy. I'm not sure how old your dog is, so it may take a while. Just be patient and never punish - only praise.

You could also try socializing your dog with other male dogs, if you are able. He may try to duplicate their behavior.

Shinji answered on 12/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dacun's Dazzling Diva (Dee Dee

I also have male standard poodles - and whichever leg they hike to pee - they will usually get that front leg. There are covers you can get that are waterproof (bracelet covers) and send him out in those. You can get a set of 2 or 4. They are also great in wet/muddy weather to keep the bracelets clean and dry. They close with velcro and are very easy to use and really saves time by reducing washing up and they prevent the yellow stains on light colored poodle boys. Visit my guys and girl and become a pal! We love hearing from other poodles on here. I bought my covers while I was at a dog show. They will know what you are talking about if you go to a vendor at a show (especially a poodle show) but if you have trouble finding them - let me know I'll see if I can send you a link.

Dacun's Dazzling Diva (Dee Dee answered on 12/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer