Tucker

Our little puppy has loose stool- is he okay?

Tucker is just 12 weeks old and he came to us only 2.5 days ago. He has been great about going outside but we have noticed that his stool as gone from firm (his very first one inside the house) to pretty runny at this point. There was a little blood in one of his poops today but the others were mostly brown. We did change his food from what the breeder was feeding him and we know this could cause it, but is there anything else that might be wrong? Any other symptoms of anything we should be looking for?

Asked by Tucker on Mar 2nd 2008 Tagged stools in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Phoebe

My little Phoebe had the same thing. She had already had her stool tested and it showed no trace of any parasites. So we did the test again and the vet sent it to another lab to do some more extensive testing. It was found that she had Giardia. However she was eating, drinking and acting normal. From what I understand from everything I looked up on it and what my vet told me this is common especially if you got the dog from a kennel and (might have eaten other puppies stool) and they act and look fine. What I noticed with Phoebe is that she had diarrhea and blood in her poop. DON'T FREAK OUT (yet) just get him to a vet ASAP. When this happened to my puppy I freaked myself out wondering what it could be and I scared myself to death. She went on a course of antibiotics and is fine now. Good luck to you.

Phoebe answered on Mar 3rd.

Answers

Lady

Look for vomit, lethargy and more diarrhea. Those would indicate more serious medical condition. Have you taken this puppy to your vet yet? That should be the very first thing you do when you get a new puppy - call and make the vet appointment. Even if the puppy doesn't need any vaccines at that moment - I know breeders give vaccines sometimes. You vet can do a stool float test that looks for parasites in puppy's stool. Puppies are high risk for getting Parvo so keep your eye open for the symptoms I mentioned first. If your puppy exhibits any of those get to vet ASAP!
Loose stool alone is not usually a problem you have to look at other behavior and environment. Food change can cause loose stool, yes. But, it shouldn't persist. Your puppy should be protected at this time before all the shots are complete. Don't take your puppy to Dog Parks, stores or walks around your neighborhood -- Parvo is a very strong virus that can be found anywhere.
Good Luck
Licks

Lady answered on 3/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the stool contains blood, you need to get this puppy to a vet asap.

Blood in the stool is a very serious symptom and can even be life threatening. There are a few different things that cause blood in the stool and in order to make sure you know what is causing it, a vet visit is in order. It could be caused by irritation, but it could also be caused by inflammation of the colon, a bacterial infection in the digestive tract or even parvo.

It is not unusual for puppies to have diarrhea as their tummies are senstive, espeically when they are first in their new homes and also if you sqitch their food, as you mentioned.

However, switching food and new home anxiety don't cause blood in the stool.

Puppies are especially prone to dehydration from diarrhea, even if they are drinking water, so defintely visit the vet for a proper diagnois.

Best of luck!

Bloody or blood tinged stool warrants an IMMEDIATE vet visit!...Could be hook worms!
Nasty stuff!

Mel Brooks

It might be Giardia. Alot of dogs have it from their mother, or from drinking from a ditch, &c. First thing to do is have the pup checked. He's still getting his shots, so it's not an extra trip to the Vet. If he's not sick, add rice to his diet. Sweet potato and rice is good. Either/or/both. Some dry pet foods make for firmer stools. Pedigree is cheap & not as nutritious for your dog, but it works if you want a firm stool. You could also try Iams. That works pretty well.

Mel Brooks answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer