Sammy

Our dog has bad hiccups that last for hours, resulting in vomiting!

Our dog (who isnt sammy, but his new brother that found us a few months ago and is about 1.5-2 years old. we think he is part beagle, and part dachshund) has had three really bad spells of hiccups--on different days! they lasted for hours each time and at the end of each spell, he vomited several times! when he has the hiccups, he licks the floor and other furniture (causing him to vomit a hairball!) Our vet has no clue what to do to help stop the hiccups (we have tried water, sugar, startling him, walking him, everything!) help! she put him on an antacid and hopefully this will help, but any ideas?

Asked by Sammy on Feb 16th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hector

From what I have read, hiccups are an interuption in the diaphram. Every article I have come across, say's that severe, persistant and chronic hiccups require a vets care.
If your vet can't give you an answer, you might consider getting a second opinion. This kind of hiccuping can't be normal, and I know your poor dog must be miserable when having one of these hiccuping spells.

I have used "ask a vet" online, more than 6 times, I have to admit, I have been very pleased with the answers I get. You can ask your question, it will go to a vet who is familiar with the situation, and if the answer is acceptable you can pay what you feel is fair. If the answer is no good, then no pay.
I use this when all else fails, and sometimes I think I should have started there. LOL
I have fortunately come across some very knowledgeable professionals using this method. So if all else fails, this might be an option for you.

Good luck

Hector answered on 2/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hiccups in puppies is totally normal and has to do with growth most of the time.

But when hiccups continue into adulthood (anything over say, 14 months) or they are severe, recurring or induce vomiting, that's unusual and a vet needs to find the cause. There are several conditions that can cause hiccups in adult dogs.

I would suggest that you get a second opinion if your vet is stumped on this one. Antacids won't really help hiccups because a hiccup is a spasm of the upper esophagus and not related in any way to acid or acid production. I would think that your vet might order an ultrasound or x-ray of the dog's esophagus and upper stomach to rule out a hernia or megaesophagus, a rare but serious condition in which there is a malformation of the esophagus that causes spasms and also regurgitation.

I'm not saying that he has this, but it's important to rule this out because at his age, hiccups just aren't common.

Good luck and let us know how he is!