one of my heelers ears wont stand up... what should i do?

Asked by Member 806723 on Feb 20th 2009 Tagged ears in Other Puppies

Answers

Don't do anything. Nothing cuter than a dog with one ear standing and the other floppy. It's the cutest thing.
Especially don't do anything if you're not showing the dog. Just let it be.

Dante

If it is under 6 months old, their is a chance the ear will stand erect as the muscles are still forming. But by the time they are 6 months old, the ears generally stay how they are. If your dog is not purebred, it may just have one ear that stands and one that flops due to a mix in genes. I agree that this is super cute and adds to your dogs unique personality. I wouldn't do anything to fix it. If you are dead set on having it stand, you can have the ear "taped" up. Your vet will make a splint for the ear to help the cartilage form in an erect position (but this must be done at an early age). Unless your dog is purebred and you are planning to show it, this is completely unnecessary and a waist of your time.

Dante answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

How old is the dog? If he is older than 9 months, there is nothing you can do.
If he is younger than 9 months, I've heard that cottage cheese helps strengthen the cartiledge in a puppy's ear. You can massage it daily as well to help. The ears may go up and down, up and down over the course of several days while he's teething.

But don't fret if his ears still don't stand up, it's not a big deal.

Starbutt

is it important it stand up??

Starbutt answered on 2/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer