Older dog started "going" indoors

My 3 yr old Chiweenie used to live in a house w a doggie door & could go anytime he needed. Now he's in an apartment. He's walked at least twice a day 12 hrs apart and is fed right afterwards. Lately before walking time we'll find he has pooped and or peed in the front room. He knows he's not supposed to because once we (me and my gf) see it he runs to his crate. He shares living space w a kitty who has a litter box in front room. He was eating from there for awhile too. A firm NO and the crate don't seem to make a difference. He knows its wrong and that he will be walked but does it anyway. Is there something psychological here? I'm still trying to get him to heel on walks and have noticed he growls if you touch him while eating. Is it the kitty and our bad habits? I'm trying to show more affection when appropriate and will give treats when he goes on walks but wanted to get any other advice you experts can think of. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1082657 on Jan 7th 2012 Tagged housesoilingpoopingpeeing in House Soiling

Answers

I would have him checked out by the vet first.

You might need to walk him more, I know mine likes to go potty more than every 12 hrs.. don't you?

My suggestion for the cat box thing is to have it in an area he can't get to.. example: in the bathroom with a gate in front that only the kitty can get over.

For his resource guarding (touching while eating) I recommend the book "Mine" or the website dogstardaily.com under resource guarding. You will need to fix it before it gets worse and someone gets bit.

So you moved recently? Dogs sometimes need to be rehousetrained after a move. (They don't generalize too well. They don't always realize that housetraining applies to more than one house.) Set him up for success by letting him out before the accidents happen and rewarding him for going outside. I'd just not say anything to him about the accidents, unless you catch him in the act.
Dogs can pick up on your moods and is probably reacting to that rather than guilt.

The growling you mentioned is resource guarding: www.paw

Two walks a day 12 hours apart is just not enough. He probably just can't hold it. My dogs' schedule is as follows, just to give you an idea:
taken outside at:
6am
feed breakfast
830am
230pm
500pm
Feed dinner
630pm
1000pm
I know I take my dogs out a lot, but they never have accidents unless they are sick. Humans go to the bathroom on average 6 times a day. You can't expect a dog to hold it longer than humans can. :) As for the cat box, I would move where your dog can't get it. Cat boxes are a delicacy to dogs. In most cases, they just can't help themselves. Good Luck!

Cosette

I agree with Jax! 2 walks is not enough. and if he used to be able to go out whenever he needed, how can he be expected to hold it now? I would get him used to a schedule similar to the one Jax suggested and try to always have someone who can let him out if you are not available to do it. also, stick to the to walks in addition to the schedule, that is good excercise thathe needs. Good luck with the training! :)

Cosette answered on 1/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer