Older dog getting her period, after not having it for a long time. HELP!

Do older dogs stop having their period at a certain age? My dog is about 12 years old, and one day when I was brushing her hair, her period came on. I noticed it, when I saw blood on the floor when she got up, and her "pee-pee" was swollen. So I knew it was her period. My dog hasn't had her period in years... like, it's been a while. We don't know exactly how long... but it's been a while. It's been on for about two weeks, or so, now. I don''t know exactly how long. It went from being like a regular reddish color, to more of a darker red, now. Her behavior has't changed much, except for the fact that she's a lot hyper than usual. She's constantly asking for something, like barking and whining. By the way, she is a maltese poodle.

Asked by Member 997607 on Jul 20th 2010 Tagged period, old in Health & Wellness

Answers

Dogs don't get "periods", not in the same sense that people do, rather heat cycles (AKA "in season" or estrus) where they are capable of becoming pregnant. And they continue throughout the dog's life.
It is odd that she hasn't one in years. She's probably been having "silent heats", they're not usually noticeable.
Heat last for about three weeks usually. It can and does vary to a great extent, but usually it's the first week where you see blood if I remember correctly.

If she hasn't been in heat for a while and is not spayed, and suddenly appears to be in heat I would get her checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible since it is very possible that she has pyometria, which is a serious uterine infection. This can be extremely serious, even fatal if not treated immediately. Good luck!