Shasta Sue R.I.P

Okay why is Shasta's fur not growing back fast enough?

Its the middle of winter and Shasta's fur is not that heavy she only has a couple of centemeters of fur her fur has grown so slow grant it it hasnt been that cold of a winter but still Tommy's fur has grown all the way back but why not Shasta's? i think it is quit odd. dont you? we shaved her at the begining of summer and tommy in the middle of August whats going on?

Asked by Shasta Sue R.I.P on Jan 3rd 2012 in Senior Pet

Answers

Koda

Hmm i think its been the weather. It has been a pretty warm winter so far. We brushed all the under coat out of my border collie in the summer and its just starting to fill out now.
Its usually not good to shave a dog because the hair can catch cold air and trap it to cool the dog down. When you take that fur off the sun and heat go directly to the skin. Also for shedding purposes, they shed just as much the hair wis just smaller.
I suggest using a fulminator or under coat brush to lighten the fur rather then shaving.

Hope it grows back soon! She's a beautiful dog!

Koda answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

When shaving a double-coated dog there is no guarantee that the hair will grow back properly or at all for that matter, especially a senior. When I was a kid an inexperienced groomer mistakenly shaved one of our 13 year old Rough Collies -- the hair never grew back. There could also be a possible thyroid condition slowing hair growth.