Nylabones

I gave my dog a Nylabone Dura Chew that had little red dots in it.It said they were bacon flavored.My dog had the bone for 1/2 day and when I looked at it he had eaten two sides slightly, but what shocked me was that the little red dots were actually nylon bolts 1" long and two were missing from the bone,but one was sitting by the bone.He started throwing up so I took him to my vet and they x-rayed my dog but could not find the missing bolt.My vet was furious that they would put something in a dog chewable bone that IS NOT DIGESTIBLE.I looked up Nylabone on the internet and could not believe how many sites warned people not to give their dog Nylabones because their dogs had died before they could get them to vet. Some were operated on but still died.Two TV stations warned about these bones because they had been recalled once in 2001 and again in 2005.I e-mailed Nylabone,they want to pay for the vet bill,but I want to warn people DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOGS NYLABONES THEY ARE DEADLY.

Asked by Member 1115537 on Jun 13th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Seth

Wow, I have used nylabones for years and have never had any problerms with them. But I have never had any with the red dots on them. I will have to look all of them over again tonight.

Seth answered on 6/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Koby

I would post this on the health forum on this site. Thanks for the warning. :)

Koby answered on 6/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mojo

Woof woof I never had a problem with nylabone except the chicken flavor one that I consumed in hours even then I had no ill effects. IDK I do not dispute that problems even serious enough to kill a dog are possible. My neighbors dog got a hold of a steak bone and died in a couple of days. no-one knew til it was too late. Internal damage from the cooked bones sharp edges took their toll. I suppose if a dog were to get a large enough piece of a nylabone and swallow it well the same could happen. They never got me the bacon one with red bolts though. I recommend human monitoring of your progress with any chew toy. Let your human restrict access times (If you can't do it yourself)to when it can be monitored, especially knowing what you might be capable of. Keep in mind if you are getting ready to get yourself in trouble they can help keep you safe woof woof be careful out there.

Mojo answered on 6/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie (Calliope)

We have the same chew toy in two sizes but our dog never took a real strong liking to it. My dog is a power chewer and she never made a dent in it. She's destroyed many many toys including several Nylabones but to our knowledge never swallowed the pieces which she would leave all over the floor. I understand your vets concern but I don't think the Dura Chews are meant to be edible bones they're made of nylon. Luckily our dog doesn't swallow big pieces of anything. She even chews each individual piece of kibble. Little weird.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 6/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer