Sophie

Newly adopted dog drinking LOTS of water, not eating a whole lot.

My finace and I just adopted a 1 year old shepherd/lab mix from the animal shelter. She is very sweet and lively. We have had her about 1 week. The thing is, she doesn't eat a lot and is a little skinny. She does eat but she just kind of picks at her food. But she is OBSESSED with water. She'll try to get to the sink to get it, the toilet, tries to get to our drinks when they're on the coffee table, tried to drink water out of a puddle outside.... The shelter gave us records of her vet visits and she is up to date on everything. People are telling me she may just be excited and adjusting to her new home. I don't know if she is just excited or if something is wrong. Any opinions would be very helpful. Anyone had this experience when they apdopted a pet?

Asked by Sophie on Oct 9th 2008 Tagged drinkingtomuchwater, noteating in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Clementine

Is she having any issues with her elminiation? Is she peeing very often? Sometimes dogs that are drinking excessive amounts of water may have a urinary track infection. It's one of many signs. A simple urine test at the vet's office would rule this out. Good luck!

Clementine answered on 10/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

We have had Abby since she was 12 weeks old and she has ALWAYS been a little water obsessed - OK, a lot water obsessed.
When she was a pup most of the people that met her thought that she possibly had diabeties - she doesn't. She still drinks a lot of water at 5 years old, just how she is I guess.
I do have to admit that she has never tried to get to our drinks before (unless there is ice cubes in them - lol)
It may very well be an adjustment issue for your newly adopted pup. If she isn't having any other issues (problems going, etc) I would just wait it out and see what happens after she is fully adjusted to her new home.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 10/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It took about 2 weeks before my adopted puppy was fully assimilated into our household. Things will get better...also see if maybe your puppy is attracted to reflections off the water. my pointer is obsessed with pointers and reflective lights...

pepper

There is only one answer weather mean or not FORCE FEED THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FFFFFOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FORCE FEED!

pepper answered on 10/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Joey ♥

In terms of her finicky appetite, you can try supplementing her food by moistening it with chicken or vegetable broth (Swanson sodium-free). Since she's such a thirsty pup, you'll need to monitor her sodium intake which can increase her water consumption.

I would, however, take precious Sophie to the vet to rule out diabetes. While the shelter you adopted her from has vaccinated her, diabetes is not routinely tested, and I don't know of the disorder's prevelance in Boston Terriers. The good news is it's treatable.

Best case scenario is she's just a thirsty pup who found a wonderfully doting home!

Our best,
Tucker, Vayla, Max and Joey

♥ Joey ♥ answered on 10/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My guess is she is adjusting... but get a vet's opinion.

When I got Charlie, she didn't eat for a few days... and then she ate light for a a few more. She just drank water and ate grass.
I took her to the vet... underweight, but all Ok.

I found a new food that she liked and slowly introduced it to the food that the kennel had been feeding her and gave me... over a week until she was only on the new food.

I experimented with feeding times... until I understood her appetite.

I sat with her bowl next to me until she went for it... sometimes I hand fed her.

I also got one of those balls that you put treats in and filled it up with her kibble... this worked well.

She is still on the skinny side... but in top health. I think some dogs have small appetites.

Perhaps you can talk to the vet about giving her puppy food for a little since as it is higher in calories.