New dog too possessive of me to my current dogs?

I just brought home a 1 year old Blue Heeler mix, she is very sweet and took to me immediately. I got her home and she is snapping at my other dogs whenever they try to get close to me. She was pregnant at the time she was spayed, could it be residual hormones from that making her possessive or is this something else? I really want things to work out with her but I don't want to subject my other dogs to her and traumatize them. What can I do to help the situation?

Asked by Member 489822 on Aug 14th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Discipline her in front of the other dogs so that they all know this behavior will not be tolerated (she is NOT being 'sweet' to them!) Treat the others, but not her, for good behavior in front of the new dog. Do not LET the new dog be possessive- separate her immediately. Teach her that if she does not act correctly, your time with her will be limited. ^_^

I think if you place yourself in her position, you can see why she might be insecure. She just met this nice lady who gives her what she needs and she doesn't want to lose you! Herding dogs, like your Australian Cattle Dog, can sometimes nip to communicate in the course of herding. These sorts of issues tend to become more pronounced when a dog is transitioning to a new home. Whether she's resource guarding you or herding you, this is a pretty serious problem, but one you may be able to resolve with time. For instance, my dog was food aggressive when I first got her, but she'd been a stray for sometime and hadn't been guaranteed food. I separated her while feeding for a while, but eventually she stopped when she knew she could count on a meal. I would temporarily keep her separate from your other dog for safety's sake. Call the rescue for advice, then try a trainer.

Tommy

They are right. The breed can be very smart, but also possessive and stubborn. My Blue Heeler/Cocker was as you describe. She would harrangue the others dogs and actually herd them into a room and lay by the door. It wasn't easy as I had to intervene frequently and consistently to redirect her behavior. She had a bed in the corner I would send her to by pointing and telling her "no, go to your bed!" I would reinforce her once she went to her corner (food was a big deal to her) and reinforce all of them when they all played well. Eventually she would go when I would say "Bonny Blair!" She would bitterly complain the entire way "You don't understand the situation!". I also had to stay with them while they ate and direct her to stay at her own bowl. She did get better at that too, but when the older dogs passed away and she was an only dog were her happiest days.

Tommy answered on 8/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer