Need help with a rescue dog who has peed in the house and hates being crated during the day.

About two weeks ago my girl friend and I adopted a rescue dog (believed to be 2 - 3 years old) who has been having problems with both the crate and peeing indoors.

The First problem is peeing in the house. Since we have had the dog it has peed in the house twice (never pooped) and in two separate areas. Both times it has been in the late afternoon after a long walk and has occurred in our main room while we are both in there. We are not sure why it has been happening then. The first time the dog was pacing around a little before and we should have noticed. But the second time the dog had just finished eating/drinking and then walked over and peed on the rug. Any ideas how to train this out of the dog?

The second issue is day crating. The dog has no problem getting in the crate at night but hates day crating and is very stubborn about it. Any ideas on how to make it less stressful for the dog? The crate is in the bedroom so is it just separation anxiety?

Asked by Member 1069303 on Nov 8th 2011 in House Soiling

Answers

Well, you can put the dog in the crate, and when he barks or does something close like that, you put the dog outside and if he goes to the bathroom, then he can be out of the crate. If he doesn't go to the bathroom, then put him back in the crate. Wait about 5 minutes, then let he back outside. Keep doing this until he goes to the bathroom. I have done this with all of my inside dogs, and it works!! :)

I don't know what to do about being in the crate in the day time. You could try asking a vet, or another website. Sorry i couldn't help.
Hope this helps!!
By N