Peanut

Need dog food suggestions for weight loss.

Peanut is a shih tzu and has just turned 8 years old and she's getting a bit hefty. My vet recommended I either feed her less or look for a less dense dog food (she currently eats Merrick grain free buffalo and loves it). I want to keep her on a good diet (I love that Merrick has no recalls and is made in the US) but feeding her less Merrick really doesn't work (I already feed what is her bare minimum). She does not have any underlying medical condition. Is there another safe and good quality food that would be better for weight loss at her age? Thanks in advance!

Asked by Peanut on Oct 21st 2013 in Pet Food

Answers

Shasta

Merrick is one of the best foods out there, good job! (I was worried I was gonna read "I feed her Purina Dog chow fit n trim".... That's garbage) I've not had to handle overweight dogs, as I always make sure to measure their food to prevent weight gain.

My best suggestion would be to get her on a routine exercise schedule. Get a daily 20-30min walk in, play a game of fetch, etc.

Senior dogs will slow down in metabolism though, so possibly look for lower-calorie foods? (Here's a link to best-rated dry foods out there: www.dogfoodadvisor.com )

I've also heard a home-trick that many people have found to be miraculous as far as weight loss go: Coconut oil. Most dogs love it, so try dropping about a teaspoon on her food daily, see how she's doing after a few weeks of that. Cinnamon is also really good for them.

I hope you can get her back in shape!

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 10/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would try Nutro Ultra small breed weight control formula. It has chicken, lamb and salmon proteins, which makes the food more tasty for your dog. On the side of the bag, you measure the amount to feed by IDEAL dog weight, and then the weight reduction amount. Once she gets to the desired weight, you can switch to the weight control portion, and it is made in Tennessee and satisfaction guaranteed. Note that the amounts listed are measured per day, not by feeding time. Greenies treats come in weight management, and she can have up to one a day to help clean her teeth once the food switch has been completed. All life-stage foods do not come in lite varieties.

Mika

Im not sure if you can get this food anywhere or just in Canada since it is locally grown ingredients but Acana is a great food and they have a light and fit formula that I put Mika on last yr when she had put on a bit to much weight, and between that and the exercise she gets it seemed to work great.

Mika answered on 10/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If by saying you can't reduce the amount of Merrick you are now feeding because of the amount suggested on the bag please remember those amounts are only suggested amounts and not based on each and every dog.
I have small dogs and they are ALL eating well below the minimum amount suggested on the bag. They are all extremely healthy and happy and these lesser amounts are certainly not harming them in any way.
If your dog likes the Merrick and has done well on it except for some weight gain, I would certainly stick with the food and just feed less for each meal.
Most light formulas contain fillers such at beet pulp, peanut shells,cellulose, or the like to fill the dog up without adding calories. I would personally much rather stick with a good, healthy diet and keep away from those fillers. If you feel the need to add fillers, frozen (non-salted) string beans work great and most dogs love them. They don't offer much nutritionally, but your Merrick would do that.

Merrick is one of the best brands of dog foods out there. Try exercising her more, take her for a couple walks a day and take her to a fenced in field a couple times a week to let her run. Don't feed her table scraps.

Orijen and Acana are both good dog foods too.

I would suggest consulting with the vet for a low-carb food or you can feed her raw instead then get her enough exercise too. That way, your dog will become more fit and healthier.