Need advice on getting rid of dog

Ok, so we have a one year old shitzu with major attitude who thinks she owns the house. When we first got the dog everyone said "oh can we please, I'll help take care of her I promise". Well that was short lived. I'm always asking the kids, did you take the dog out, did the dog get fed etc etc.
I have three daughters (9,10 & 11) and a husband who now works out of town and comes home maybe once every two months. And to top it off I'm now 4 months pregnant and to be honest I'm at the end of my rope with this dog. She is constantly taking off on me, even squirms out of her collar and runs away when I'm walking her. I can't tighten collar anymore without choking her. She pees and poops in house (even after spending 20 mins outside). She has almost tripped me twice while I'm going down stairs. Not cool, even more so now with me being pregnant.
So here's my dilemma......I have a co-worker that has offered to take the dog, but my husband would lose it if I got rid of her. He's not even here

Asked by Member 1147990 on Jan 3rd 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I will try to be polite..but this is ridiculous. You committed to a dog, then obviously did no training. Kids can not be held accountable..you are responsible for this mess. I feel for you, being pregnant & having 3 young ones, and having a poorly trained dog. BUT training can fix the issues. I suggest getting Jean Donaldson's "Train Your Dog Like a Pro". It comes with a dvd that you & the kids can watch together, then make training part of your/their daily schedule.
Training does not need to be done in a big block. You can easily work on sit, down, stay during tv commercial breaks.
Crate training & tethering can help with the potty issues. Loose leash training will help with the walks. Work on recall.
Play hide and seek. The kids each *hide in a different room. One calls the dog. When the dog finds the kid, the next one calls her, etc.
Getting a dog, & getting rid of a dog are both very serious issues, that require total family agreement.
If you aren't up for it, then rehome.

I agree with Wiley. if you are not willing to put in the time and effort, then let your co-worker take her. It sounds like she's not wanted, so there is no point in keeping her. Just make sure she gets a good home. It's not her fault she's not trained. Dogs are not born knowing what you want. They need lots of time and effort, and guidance just like kids. It does sound like you have your hands full, so do your dog a favor and give her to your co-worker. I didn't mean to be rude, but this is not something that should be taken lightly. Your dog is a living, breathing being and she deserves someone who will care about her. Good Luck!

I will never understand why people insist on getting a dog and then not doing ANY training and end up blaming the dog when it doesn't go well.
As for the kids taking care of it, come on, they are KIDS, it isn't even fair to them OR the dog to expect all the care and training to be in their hands.
When I sell a family a dog I will not sell to ANY family if the mother is not on board and willing to assume ALL the training and care of the dog. Obviously, you weren't, and now the dog is the one suffering.
Please do the right thing and rehome this dog. She deserves way more than she has gotten so far. It doesn't seem like a dilemma to me, it seems pretty black and white.

Sputnik

I think all three of you need to lay off making this woman feel bad. It seems like when anyone asks for advice all we get is downgraded or a lecture or are made to feel bad. Not everyone is perfect and I think some people on this site need to chill out. If this woman is woman enough to admit that she just can't take care of the dog anymore then I respect her. At least she isn't planning on keeping a dog that she's basically resenting, and if not already resenting will resent. Resentment can lead to bad paths, and if she's willing to give up the dog to someone who's willing to take it and has the time and patience to care for it then so be it. Everyone stop being so negative and critical of people with these types of questions. We're here to help and guide each other, not give lectures.
Now as for the advice...
If you can't take care of the dog anymore and nobody else is holding onto their part of the deal then i support your rehoming her. Especially if it's endangering pregnancy.

Sputnik answered on 1/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Keeva

Good job Sputnik! I want to give this woman a hug. She sounds like she needs it. Three kids and another one on the way....and a husband that is gone so no help from him.....we need to be more supportive and less critical. If you feel that you cannot live with this dog then please talk it over with your husband about rehoming it. It would be best if you both agreed to it so there would be no hard feelings. Good luck.

Keeva answered on 1/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

sad that after one year someone can still use the words 'get rid of' in regards to a living animal, like an old couch.

If that's how you feel about it then obviously it's best to let the dog go.....

What kind of support can we possibly show here?? The OP got a dog and didn't train it, and so now wants to get rid of it. Hard to back that play. :/

OP, unless hubby is prepared to spend more time at home and working with the dog, I recommend re-homing. You'll be short on time and energy to train and exercise as time goes on.

Beau

With a baby on the way and a family not willing to help you take care of her, I do feel the best solution is to let her go to a new home. It's not fair for her to be unwanted when there's a prospect family interested in her. (And remind your husband you can always go visit her!)

Small dogs, like large dogs, do need proper training. Just because they're little doesn't mean they don't need boundaries set. A dog is a dog, no matter what the size; the same rules apply to them all.

Good luck with your situation and I hope you can find a solution that works for everyone.

Beau answered on 1/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer