My whippet is trembling off and on, should I be worried?

The trembling doesn't seem to be related to body temperature, and his intake of food and water has been normal (he eats and drinks well, and is at an optimal weight). As far as I can tell, he is not ill in any way. The only thing I can think of is that the female shepherd mix is in heat (he is intact), and he wants very much to escape our yard to visit her. His humans, however, will not risk him crossing the road so we watch him very closely to prevent it. Could his "urge" be the reason for the trembles? Should I be more concerned?

Asked by Member 1005006 on Sep 20th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Sig

Maybe if that is the cause you should get him neutured. It will elliminate these urges, helps with aggression and the need to escape to find females, and really helps for those accidental dog pregnancies that everyone says won't happen with their dog then does. I volunteer at the shelter and people will bring in entire litters everyday that ultimately end up euthanised because there just aren't enough homes. it's a sad waist of life. The owners always go on and on about, "It wasn't my fault! I tried my best to keep my dog seperated and the neighbors dog came into the yard while she was using the restroom. It was sooo fast!!" Not trying to preach atcha at all just a good thing to consider. Also whippets are really lean, thin dogs. Maybe consider buying him a dog sweater for in the house. good luck! =)

Sig answered on 9/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baxter

if the trembling is only outside he could be nervous, perhaps a dog smell outside, maybe.
but if you think his trembling is all the time, there is actually a blood condition that causes a dog to appear" cold all the time. I'm sorry the name of the condition is lapsing in my memory right now but a simple blood test will prove or disprove that at the vet's.
Some dogs are just nervous in nature too depends on your dog's characteristics. :)
My dog is sensitive and he does shake when he is nervous, or scared like fireworks. Or if even someone talks loudly, he starts to shake.
I think Whippets are sensitive like my breed though. Maybe in the morning when it is a little cool he needs a little sweater. Feel better little guy

Baxter answered on 9/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He is MOST CERTAINLY showing these symptoms due to the female dog in heat in the neighborhood! My first suggestion would also be getting him neutered... that will put a stop to his urges and confusion. Meanwhile, keep him inside unless he is on a leash!!

yes it could be, my boys about went nuts and shook and drooled. So this could very well be it .

Dozer ~ CGC

It could be the female across the street... Just in case, better to get him neutered. It can be very cheap for boy dogs, I had Dozer done for $50. I dropped him off in the morning and picked him up in the evening.

However, lean breeds (like Whippets and Italian Greyhounds) have so little body fat for their mass that they feel the cold more easily then other dogs. They also are sensitive, and tremble out of nervousness or fear. Even though Dozer has a good layer of fur, he used to get very, very cold and shake a lot. I bought him an indoor sweater from Target and ordered a heavy fleece outdoor coat for walks.

Dozer ~ CGC answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

nervous, afraid, fearful, anxious or something else. when my dog trembles, he pees. is there any sign or unusual things he does?