My two dachshunds will only eat boiled chicken..no dog food at all. Is this ok?

Asked by Member 1067869 on Nov 2nd 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Starbutt

NO you dog is domestic and not wild and it needs more then just meat try some puppy canned food or puppy dry dog food as long as it says it is BALANCED DIET this is all you need to make sure of I feed purina some on here don't think it is a good brand but it is good I think they feed a more expensive brand like Blue buffalo I reckon nif I had the cash I may fall into this to but I I was told by a vet it need onlt be a balanced diet for the dog.
If your dog eats ONLY MEAT it will hurt the liver or kindneys I am not sure which one it is like if you only ate meat long ago our ansesters ate only meat I think but we can't do this and I don't think a dog can to the dog food has other things in it to keep it healthy. If you were able to cook for your dog and put everything in it it needs I think it would be fine.

Maybe someone else could give more info on this

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 11/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cody

Assuming you are only giving them the chicken meat (muscle), this is NOT a balanced diet and your dogs are missing some important nutrients.

It IS possible to feed your dogs a balanced, home prepared diet from human-grade ingredients . . . check out the forums here on Dogster for some advice and recipes. But just chicken meat alone is not enough for them. It is okay as a short term solution, but in the long run they need more than just the chicken can provide.

Also, look into pre-made diets that you add your own meat to, your dogs might like those too.

You could also look for canned or dry dog foods that include real chicken meat in them, to see if they'll eat those. Or use the chicken broth to make a gravy to mix in with some dry food, they might eat that if it all tastes like chicken.

Cody answered on 11/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cody's answer is good. Rhayden, There are many people who feed their dogs exclusively on meat, bones, and organs... it's called prey model diet, and it's quite healthy and balanced.

But to eat a meat-based diet, they need the nutrients found in the whole animal, not just the meat.

The most important thing your dogs are missing right now is a source of calcium. Muscle meat contains almost none, and dogs have a much greater need for calcium (per lb of food) than humans, it is NOT optional.

If you want to keep feeding a chicken-based (but balanced) homemade diet, check out Dr Pitcairn's books about homemade diets, and dogaware.com for info about how to do it right.

I feed, and often recommend, a homeprepared diet. (If you're interested in this, there are lots of us in the Dogster forums who can help get you started on researching about it.) But meat alone is not a balanced diet, no.

Your dogs are simply holding out for something they like better. This is usually easily fixed. All it takes is being able to put your foot down.
Give them the food they're supposed to be eating. Leave it out for 15 minutes. If they don't eat it, tough. They can go hungry until next meal time. After a few missed meals, they'll eat their kibble.

Sanka- I'll Miss You

If you want to get them on dog food (kibble), buy them kibble and only feed them kibble. They'll protest, but no healthy dog will starve themselves.

If all you had were cake and cookies and I suddenly only gave you just carrots, you would protest too. But after a few skipped meals, those carrots will look mighty tasty.

You dogs most certainly will eat foods other than chicken. Them being initially picky isn't an excuse to just keep feeding them chicken. Tough love is in order.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 11/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, it is fine for a dog to eat boiled chicken but I recommend feeding cooked chicken and adding something like brown rice to it and one or two raw eggs and topping it with cottage cheese. Mix all together and serve to your dog. Feed enough daily (I recommend feeding 2-3 times daily). This is a great diet for any dog, a well balanced diet for any dog.

If you're interested in feeding a raw diet or a home prepared food diet, check out these Dogster forums for more information - www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com