My Thai Ridgeback seems to be losing too much hair.

I have two 7 month old Thai Ridgeback brothers. One of them seems to be losing hair more than the other. He has little spots that look bare, and when we pet him a lot of fur comes off. He has always had a spot on his tail that is bumpy and doesn't grow much hair. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 844499 on Jun 9th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

Katie

Hi there!

I would start with a trip to the vet because a dog this young should not be having such severe skin issues. It could be allergies, or it could be his food.

Some vets don't pay much attention to the ingredients in dog food as a potential cause of itchiness and fur loss. I can tell you that switching to a better quality brand instead of the typical "grocery store" brands (like Purina or Beneful) has helped with my dog's skin allergies tremendously.

Try slowly switching over from your current brand to a premium brand such as Wellness, Lotus, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, or Inova. The most important thing to look for is meat as the first ingredient (e.g., beef, duck, bison, salmon, lamb, etc.) - not meat meal or meat protein, but the actual meat. Avoid foods that have corn, wheat, or soy ingredients, as well as by-products.

All that said, I think your best bet is to start with a vet check-up. It's time to get those boys fixed, too, if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

Katie answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stormy

Great post above, I agree with it- a vet visit should be in your future.

Are they red or irritated at all? It could also be a variety of other things from auto immune or just simply an allergy. A vet will be able to determine the exact cause.

Also, 7 months old... hmmm while I do own a Rhodesian Ridgeback Im not TOO familiar with Thai Ridgebacks, could they just be losing their puppy coats??

Stormy answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi - Well - have the Vet do a skin scrape next time you are in for your shots.
They can look at the cells under a scope and see what you have.

also, here is some help if you do have mange:
Mastiff pup with mange:
en.allexperts.com