My ten year old has always wanted a dog I just found this out though, so should i give my ten year old a puppy?

I kind of want one too and we live on 4 1/2 archers of land

Asked by Member 1089599 on Feb 4th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Getting a dog is a family thing. If your whole family would like to get a dog, then get one. A 10 year old is a minor, so it's the adults responsibility to make sure the dog is well taken care of, even if its the child's job. Having a dog is a big responsibility, so if everyone is willing to help with the care, then that would be a great idea. Some of my best memories as a child were with my dog. Good Luck!

What Jax said.
Also, too add a bit, it's a good idea to research the different breeds to find out which one is right for you. There is plenty of information online (albeit, the internet can be both a good and bad source, depending on which site you're using), and there are plenty of books about different breeds. You can also talk to people who own a breed you're interested in to get a good idea of what they're like to live with. The "choosing the right dog" forums on this site can be good for that.

Also, be careful where you get a dog from. I'd never buy a dog from a pet store, those dogs come from shady breeders at best and may develop health problems later on in life. Most people who have ads for litters of puppies in the paper are also less-than-ideal breeders. While not bad people, they almost always don't know what they're doing and, for one, don't realize that they were supposed to have the parents tested for genetic disease, something that cannot be done with just a health exam from the vet.

I apologise for rambling too much. I tend to do that.

Don't "give" your child a dog- choose one together. Pets make bad gifts, especially dogs. If you pick a dog together, there's a better chance of getting one that both of you are happy with. It can't be just the kid's dog- you are one paying for food, vet bills, probably cleaning up when it pukes in the car or pees on the carpet, etc.

Even if you have four acres, you will have to devote time to exercising the dog- walking/running with it, playing fetch, etc. Dogs get bored and fat without exercise, no matter how much land you have. You will also need a good fence, or ALWAYS supervise the dog when it's outside so it doesn't wander.

If you buy a puppy, keep in mind that the first year will drive you INSANE! Puppies chew on everything, have to be housetrained, obedience-trained, etc and will get into all kinds of trouble before they grow up.

Adopting an adult dog can make for easier "first dog" experience since that stuff is already done if it was raised right.

Skarlet

I agree with the others. I would also suggest that you have your 10 year old do extra chores to help pay for the puppy before you get one. This will help show you whether or not the child is serious and might make the child think a bit harder about it also. Puppies take a lot of time and work! You both need to do a lot of research and put a lot of thought into this. A 10 year old can learn a lot from having a pet, but it is a big step that the whole family needs to be properly prepared for.

Skarlet answered on 2/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I highly recommend to educate and do your research on dogs before you get a dog. A dog is A LOT of work and they can be costly. There's a lot of things you have to think about before getting a dog.

* What breed of dog do you want and why?
* How much exercise can you provide to this dog?
* Who will be taking care of this dog?
* Who will pay for everything?
* Do you really have the time for a dog?
* Will you raise, train and socialize the dog properly?
* What kind of temperament would you like in a dog?
* Do you live in an area or do you rent a home where a certain or certain breeds are banned?
* How long will you be gone a day?
* What size of dog do you want?
* Where will you get a dog from?

There is SO much that goes into owning a dog. Puppies, especially are HARD work. I don't recommend getting a puppy until you are absolutely positive that you are ready to get a puppy and that you will be 100% committed. Dogs are great, a forever companion. Do NOT get a dog until you have educated and done your research on dogs and the dog breed you are wanting.

Dinah Saur

Nooo.

Unless YOU really really want a puppy don't do it. It's not fair to you, your 10 year old, or the puppy. They bark, they bite, they go to the bathroom in floor vents, they bite holes in furniture, they need to go to the bathroom at 2am. And that is the 4 hours a day they aren't sleeping.

No 10 year old can truly commit 10 years or more to a dog. They have sports, school, friends, parties, dances, etc. to worry about.

That in mind, if you do truly want a puppy, go for it. I just rescued my second dog, a 15 week ACD puppy and I love every inch of the little monster.

I'm sure you and your 10 year old will love yours.

Dinah Saur answered on 2/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The first answer is by far wrong. I am ten and i have my own dog.
My parents don't even buy her her food