Willow

My sister has a problem with her two year old Chiweenies. The female is spayed and the male is un-nuetered. She has crat

My sister's Chiweenies have been crated during the day for months while she and her husband work. They recently installed a dog door and built a fenced area outside for the dogs to use while they are gone. The dogs still come inside and pee. The female is spayed but the male is not fixed. What can she do?

I should add that they do use the bathroom outside as long as she and her husband are home. They only go inside when they are unsupervised. They do not potty in their crate during the day.

Asked by Willow on Mar 13th 2010 in House Soiling

Answers

Well she needs to house train them!

A dog's instinct is to "go" on absorbent surfaces. The easiest solution would probably be to put newspapers or "wee pads" in the crate.
Another solution is to teach the dog to use a certain spot in the yard. This can be done by taking the dog outside when it has to go, and (using a leash) lead it to afore-mentioned certain spot. Then praise and reward as soon as the dog is done. The reward can be anything from food to playtime--whatever motivates the dog.

Heaven forbid they soil their new "room". I fostered a Corgi who thought like this.

A review of house training will help and a designated toilet outside as well. A shelter and lock the dog door while they are out - at least for now.

This is the second "dog-door" problem I read today. Now I know why my rescue group doesn't like them and won't place a dog in a home with one.

even though she is spayed the boy dog will mark and the marking can be a habit after a period of time also.
I just saw Underdog to Wonderdog and if you seen it that is a dog that has a marking issue even after two weeks for his neuter he still marks. I would tell you sister that the male is never going to stop til he gets neutered even then she will have to walk them and try to train him out of it.
the fence and the doggie door is great idea I have done that. But, males have that need to mark. She could try setting up a plastic cone the orange ones at the farm store maybe that would give him a marker if there is no trees in the fenced in area.?? that's all I got sorry.

Dino

Sometimes dogs need direction. If you are not there to tell them lets go outside and go potty well they will go where they like. Thats why the dog door I dont think will work. Neutering does sometimes help as some males like to mark things. Dino as a puppy started to spray things at 5 months. So mom got him neutered asap as she did not want him to learn that bad behavior as when they start its hard to break. Once neutered he never had a problem. If they can not be trusted during the day when at work the only way is to keep them crated. If there is no way they can come home at lunch to let them out maybe look into a pet sitter that will come to your house and let them out and entertain them for a while. That or perhaps a day care.

Dino answered on 3/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer