my shitzu is a very picky eater what food would u suggest i should try.

My shitzu is a very picky eater,she puts her food in her and spits it out.I tried royal canin ,puppychow ,science diet, and i even kibbles n bits and she still spits it out what type of hard food would u suggest?

Asked by Member 1001679 on Aug 23rd 2010 in Pet Food

Answers

I'm having the exact same problem. My shitzu is mixed with terrier. I'm at a loss too.

Is she new to you? some dogs go through a period of stress from being in the shelter then they are found in another new home. So you might want to give it some time.
Also, have an exam now since the dog shouldn't be refusing all food.
Perhaps the dog is sick and needs medical care? not sure hope she eats soon.
Try Orijen fish

Buckeye

First let me say that Kibbles N' Bits, Science Diet, Puppy Chow and Royal Canin are all considered to be unhealthy dog foods. Its not good for your Shih Tzu to eat that kind of food. Maybe try a higher quality dog food (Wellness, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, etc.) or mix in a little bit of canned dog food with her kibble. Try to stick with one brand, of both canned and kibble. Good luck.

Buckeye answered on 8/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

For a picky eater and a shitzu who is prone to developing allergies I would recommend Natural Choices Herring Meal formula. It has herring meal as the first ingredient and does not contain any ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, or artificial colors or preservatives. The food is high in omega 6-linoleic acid-which is why their food is guaranteed to improve skin and coat! With my dog it dramatically reduced shedding and itchiness. When you switch to any food be sure to do it gradually over at least a week and also remember that it will take a good 8-12 weeks to see results from switching to the new food.
Check out the website:
www.TheNutroCompany.com

Maverick answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jackson

Raw food is the best for dogs. its what they are ment to eat. commercial brands are almost all grains and shouldnt be fed to dogs. Raw is a fairly new concept but works wonders. Raw usually cures all allergies and dogs love it!

I would do your research first though because there are steps you do need to take to go to raw, Like the chicken stage, which I had to learn for myself.

Jackson answered on 9/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer