My rat terrier is getting alot of big freckles especiall on his stomachL

Asked by Member 816673 on Mar 17th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Molly

That could be cancer on your dog I used to have a dog who had that and they had to put her to sleep go to the vet and show them it might not be cancer but in the meantime they have speical sun screen for dogs you can put on her the freckles could be a sign that she could get cancer I would say treat it emideatly

Molly answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Theodore aka Teddy  **CGC**

How old is your rat terrier? I know that my puppy (decidedly not a rat terrier BOL) started out solid white and has been getting lots of speckles and freckles as he ages. It could simply be markings becoming more apparent. If they don't itch or bother him, I wouldn't worry quite yet. However, if you are concerned, it never hurts to see a vet.

Theodore aka Teddy **CGC** answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baxter

Alot of these dogs have speckles, I hate two rats t. and one toy fox terrier they had them. The toy lived over 14yrs. Beagles sometimes have this coloring.
My bostons stomach is spotted in some areas he has black skin and white skin on tummy.
If the speckle is raised and feels like a big pimple then the vet should look at it.
But, alot of breeds have speckles or freakles.
My daughter's frekles are heritary and when she goes out in the sun she gets more. But, dogs are different.

Baxter answered on 3/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

hercules

Hi, my rat terrier too has devoloped freckles the older he gets, his little belly has lots of different size freckles, some dime sized to quarter sized. he even developed a few on his chest and back. my jrt also had these freckles , they are normal from what i know. i wouldnt worry unless they are raised or ooZe or bleed or something, because then they could be something serious, freckles are flat, just coloration. i wouldnt be too concerned, just run it past your vet to ease your mind on your next visit. good luck and big doggie hugs from our family to yours.

hercules answered on 3/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer