sasha

my puppy's tongue is always out. look at her pictures. is this normal? she only closses her mnouth when she is sleeping.

Asked by sasha on Dec 29th 2011 Tagged dogs in Puppies

Answers

Oh yeah. I think mostly likely certain breeds, the ones that tend to have thicker fur than others, just do that. My German Shepherd pretty much panted constantly.

Does she have an overbite which is when the top teeth extend over the bottom teeth, or under bite which is the opposite??
In many cases if the bite is off the dog has difficulty keeping their tongue in their mouths.
It can also be a problem with missing teeth.
We groom MANY dogs whose tongue is mostly hanging out and in all cases their bite is off, either over (most often) or under. IF the front teeth don't meet (ie top right over the bottom), this can be an issue.
Not usually a health problem, only cosmetic.
I didn't notice her age...it is possible this is a temporary problem due to missing puppy teeth and when the adult teeth come in it will be normal again.
I have also seen a couple of cases where the dogs tongue was abnormally long which also resulted in it hanging out often.

Jugs

Some breeds just have that silly look :)
Her jaw might be aligned a little different as well. If you're worries, a vet is the best place!

Jugs answered on 12/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer