Izzy

My puppys dont eat dry food. What do I do?

My two pups are 2 months old and are fox terriers. They do not eat their dry food but eat everything else. What should I feed them instead of dry food?

From a fat dog and it's owner

Asked by Izzy on Jan 27th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

It sounds like the dogs are eating people food and treats if I'm interpreting "everything else" correctly.

If this is the case, it's very dangerous for your dogs to continue eating "people" food. It's generally too rich for dogs and they are at risk for developing pancreatitis, a potentially fatal inflammation of the pancreas that can happen at any time. So, please do discontinue any fatty or inappropriate foods.

It's tough to get dogs to eat their stuff when they are used to other foods, but I'd recommend that you put out their regular dry food combined with some wet food (which is ideal for them to eat with kibble anyway) and stand back. Don't make a big deal and don't cave in. Chances are the wet food will entice them enough and it's healthy for them.

If, after a week or two you don't see a reduction in weight, cut back the food a tiny bit and start exercising them a bit more, making sure they get enough walkies and play sessions. YOu should see a weight reduction.

Jack answered on Jan 28th.

Answers

Stella

I work at a dog boarding facility. I have to feed all sorts of dogs all the time. When I know a dog doesn't have allergies, I put a little bit of canned pumpkin or wet food in with their kibble. Try using just a tiny amount, to coat the kibble..hopefully it should work! Just don't feed them a strictly wet food diet! And for the dogs with food allergies, I put a little bit of warm water in their kibble. It softens it up a bit and dogs usually love it. Try a 1/2 a cup of kibble to one part water or a 1/2-1 tblspoon of wet food. Hope it helps!

Stella answered on 1/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD

One thing to remember is that everything that they eat (you mentioned they eat everything else) discounts from the meal time. Although puppies need more food than their adult same-weight counterparts, they can fill up on the goodies, snacks and edible chewies. Try cutting out the snacks and feeding only at mealtimes. We did a 3 meal a day routine until about 6 months old and then went to a 2 meal a day for the puppies.

You could try a different kibble. My dogs liked the Blue Buffalo, Innova, and Orijen puppy foods. We steered away from products that have fish or fish meal unless they could guarantee ethoxyquin was introduced.

If they have diarrhea, it could be something else. In that case go to the vet. At 2 months it's time for shots anyway, so you could get specific advice from them on all your questions.

Kodamour OA AXJ OF NAC TN-N PD answered on 1/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fat dog? You have answered your question. If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

try sprinkle of water ontop of the food, maybe they are teething.
Try feeding crushed ice instead of water to help sore and red gums.
Teething is hard on some pups and the hard kibble is hard for them to chew up.
feeding the kibble a little moist til the teething is over is fine.

Maverick

Sounds like Izzy is holding out for something better than her dry food. bol! You can try canned food but, if you want her to eat dried food though I would put her on a feeding schedule and limit treats and goodies to a bare minimum so that she won't be waiting for you to giver her something she may find more appetizing.
The rule of thumb is to put her food down for 15 minutes and than take it up until dinner time and put it down and let her have the opportunity to eat it again for another 15 minutes.

You may try switching her to a flavorful puppy food. If she doesn't have a sensitive tummy I would recommend Ultra puppy since its really flavorful because it contains three different protein sources and lots of antioxidant rich foods that all work together to give your pups all the vitamins and minerals they need!

Check it out at:
www.ultraholistic.com

No matter what food you feed be sure to switch slowly over at least a week so you don't upset the flora in their little tummies!

Maverick answered on 1/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer