my puppy shakes when i hold him, he is outside, and before he goes to sleep

he is 9 weeks old. he has an appointment on friday with the new vet for his stool sample, and first shots. could it be worms? he does eat but he mostly wants the older dogs food. he is very playful all the time.

Asked by Member 708497 on Dec 3rd 2008 Tagged shaking in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Malty

Is he living outside? How cold is it there? Nine weeks seems very young to be living outside. I hope you bring him in when it gets too cold or have a very warm doghouse for him with blankets. I would imagine the shaking is because he is cold. You can ask your Vet, I maybe be too over protective with mine but I personally think 9 weeks is too young to be living outside this time of year.

Good Luck!!

Malty answered on 12/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

thor

nine weeks is very young, he may shake when you hold him because he is afraid, it takes a little time for them to build trust, especially if they werent handled a lot as young pups. i dont think worms would make him shake at all. it is good that you have a vet appointment, a lot of puppies have worms, they all need wormed frequently by the vet to keep them healthy. i would try to get him to eat a good puppy food instead of adult food, it has more of the nutrients in it that he needs at this tender age. it is great that he is playful, enjoy it, they grow so fast! good luck to you.

thor answered on 12/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your baby is just probably nervous and a bit scared of a new home, new people and new surroundings. 9 weeks is very young and he is maybe just missing his Mom and littermates. Just give him lots of reassurance and love and this shall quickly pass. It's a great big world out there and sometimes going outside is a bit over-whelming, there are many unfamilar strange smells and noises. Just have patience and he will soon be running around like crazy. Some dogs shake when they are cold, but you never mentioned what type of dog you have or where you reside, so maybe take that into consideration as well. Congrats on your new fur baby.
Also I must add, please get him neutered.They should be neutered at an early age to prevent unwanted pregnancies, minimise agressive male behaviour, roaming and to lessen the chance of some forms of cancer. If not neutered, he may mark on everything and anything - including all furniture, curtains, clothes and floors.
Just thought I'd add that bit of info.