My puppy scares me

Ever since my dog passed away I had been dreaming of having a new companion. Well recently my mothers friend had been giving away free germen shepherd beagle mixes and I picked one of the boys. He is now 7 1/2 weeks old ( I got him when he was 6 weeks).
The issue is this: I can't pet, hold or touch him without him biting mine and others hand. He bites hard... I have marks on my hand. He knows the word "No!" And gets angry and bites the air towards by face and then comes after some body part a minute later. I've given him toys, taught him "no", used repellent spray and nothing seems to work. I'm afraid once he starts getting bigger he is going to do even more then creating scabs on a hand. I don't want to get rid of him but he's not really being a mans best friend. Heck he won't even let me touch him. I am close to giving him up but since there is a part of me that does care for him. Please. I'm desperate.

Asked by Member 1158146 on Mar 5th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Becca

Insufficient socialization is part of the reason why it is said to leave a Puppy with it's Dame and original Pack for TWELVE (12) weeks, not just Eight. There should be a Law preventing someone to take one at six weeks !

It's apparent you have no idea what to do with him, and IF you're ever going to be happy (and that's a good possibility with a GSD) you should schedule lessons for him and YOU, at a good Obedience School...ASAP !

Once you get control over this situation, you will absolutely adore your Sheppard...and he you, absolutely !

Becca answered on 3/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts*

In most places it is illegal to sell a puppy before it is at least 8 weeks for this exact reason. I agree with the other poster when it comes to the lessons, they need to start ASAP

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts* answered on 3/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Between 6 and 8 weeks is when a puppy learns about biting and getting bit back from its mother and littermates. Since you are missing this critical socialization issue, you are going to have to work doubly hard to teach this baby some bite inhibition.
I agree with a puppy socialization class, but most of them will not let puppies in until they have had 2nd vaccines, usually twelve weeks of age.
Meanwhile, it is up to YOU to teach what is acceptable and what is not. The easiest and fastest way is to end all play when teeth meet human skin. The second it happens, say OUCH!, stand up, turn around and remove yourself from the room where the baby is, or crate him. Give it a few seconds, then return and if it happens again, leave again, over and over until he realizes that ALL play ends when teeth touch skin.
Repellants, hitting, etc, will not work as they are just teaching him that bad things come from you and he will ultimately learn to fear you which is not what you want at all.