Ella

My puppy had parvovirus what can I do to help her recover?

My 5 month old puppy Ella just recently had parvovirus. I took her to the vet and she stayed there on a drip for a few nights. I brought her home and am feeding her boiled rice and chicken in small portions as what the vet insisted. She has finished her antibiotics and passed a few normal stools but has diarrhea also. She also has lost a fair bit of weight and is starting. What can I do to help her?
How long will it take her to fully recover?
And is there anything I can feed her to gain weight?

Asked by Ella on Oct 31st 2012 Tagged parvo, health, food, puppy in Health & Wellness

Answers

I forgot to mention in the other question you had about raw egg--I wouldn't feed raw food to an immuno compromised dog. It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but even so I'd wait until she's done recovering.

I don't know how to answer this question, though.

Bella

I am very sorry to hear about Ella. If she is beginning to pass some normal stools, I would say she is on her way to recovery. The boiled chicken and rice diet is the best for her while her tummy is still sensitive, but once she starts passing more normal stools you can start acclimating her back to her normal food (very slowly). I would give her watered down Pedialyte to help keep her from getting dehydrated. She will begin to put weight back on once the diarrhea clears up, no need to try and expedite the process. The most important thing right now is to keep her hydrated and get her to eat small meals to help her keep her strength up, feeding her anything beyond chicken/rice and her normal food could just aggravate her poor tummy even more.

We have never had a puppy with parvo, but Bella had Coccidia which our vet treated the symptoms in the same manner as they would treat parvo. Best of luck, and we hope for a speedy recovery :).

Bella answered on 10/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer