Zoe

My puppy got her shots today,she was fine when we got home but now she in alot of pain,I cant even pick her up,is thisok

She is 1 lb 12 oz..so she is small. She didnt cry when she got the shot and was fine for about 2 hours after but now she is in alot of pain and very sleepy. IS this normal and if so, when should she be feeling better? I feel so bad for her!

Asked by Zoe on Jan 26th 2009 Tagged pain, sore, shots, crying in Vaccinations

Answers

Miss Buddie

Very normal, especially since she's so little. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't have a reaction (facial swelling, etc) and give her a little extra TLC today. Mine are full grown and are that way a lot after shot day.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

This is pretty normal, yes. She should probably be feeling better later tomorrow, and for sure back to normal the following day. I have dogs that have reactions like that to shots - some are very sore where the needle was entered, and some you'd never know had gotten shots that day. Each dog is different. Watch her closely, and keep her as quiet as you can. Make sure she is eating and drinking normally. I would also probably call your vet and let him know the reaction she is having. If she had multiple shots, this could be the reason she is in so much pain, and it is possible that if she was administered the shots on separate days, the pain could be lessened. I always let my vet know if my dog has a reaction to something so that your vet is aware of it too and so that your puppy doesn't have to go through the same thing the next time she has shots. The combination of multiple shots can sometimes cause reactions in the dogs. Best of luck.

Yes, your vet should have mentioned to you that she might feel a bit tired or seem lethargic after the shots.

Most vets recommend keeping dogs quiet for the rest of the afternoon.

Now, if she's not seeming more like herself tomorrow, of if you just have a sense that something is definitely not right, then you can call your vets office and listen to the after hours recording to see where they recommend for 24 hour vet care.

But, I think she'll more than likely be much better tomorrow. Just try sitting with her, comforting her and make sure she's as warm and comfy tonight as possible. I'm fairly sure she'll be peppier in the morning.

Good luck with her. She's so adorable!

My puppy got shots today and she is in a lot of pain. I have a 15 weeks Chihuahua who weights 2 lbs. I feel really bad for her, I really don't know what to do to make her feel better. She has been sleeping all afternoon, she feels warm and really hasn't eaten or drank much. She cries when I pick her up and/or touch her around the area. She had shots about three weeks ago but didn't react that way...should I be concerned?