My pup has a (kind of) dog form of ADD and goes nuts when he sees other dogs.

Hi, I have a Lab/Collie X who we rescued which means we dont really know if he was removed from his mother too early or if he had an incestuous family tree.

When we first got him, the couple who had him didnt really let him outside so the first few days was a bit of chore getting to go for a walk. We have a 1 yr lab so it made things easier.

Now whenever we take him for a walk and he sees another dog/cat, he goes completely nuts.
Whining and barking (high pitched) profusely, jumping on the lead to get to them.
Problem is, he likes to look out our front window and goes nuts in the same way if he sees dogs outside as well.

When I mentioned ADD earlier, I say that because if he gets too stimulated or excited he gets a very hyper in wanting playfight with our lab.

Is it something we have done or need to do because we cant even take him to the forest or park for a long walk because of this

Asked by Member 1116977 on Jun 22nd 2012 Tagged reactive, barking, fear, dogs, nervous in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Koby

You have a dog that is a mix of 2 working dog breeds. The Lab is a hunting dog and the Collie is a herding dog. I would guess he is just high energy and is bored. If a dog is bored, he will entertain himself, which usually means bad behavior and/or too much energy. You need to find him something to do. Herding, agility, luring anything that will expend the energy. A tired dog is well behaved dog. I would also enroll him in some obedience classes. That would help with the lunging at the other dogs. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 6/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie Mae

That depends. What are your responses to his actions? pawmail me if you want to discuss more or aren't satisfied with any of the other answers. www from bad to wag dot com

Maggie Mae answered on 6/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer