My pugs occasionally get random swellings between their toes on the front paws. What is this?

All of my pugs sometimes get painful, red swellings between the toes of their front paws. Usually after @3 days, the swelling goes down. This is my 3rd pug and they all get these. I took one of them to the vet and the vet lanced the swelling, did minor surgery, charged me $500+ and sent her home, with no answers. But she still gets them every now and then. I want to know why they get these swellings and what to do about them.

Asked by Member 921039 on Nov 22nd 2009 Tagged swelling, paw, injury in Pug

Answers

Sounds like interdigital cysts. They are usually a staph infection and occur due to the moist, warm environment between the toes. I usually try an antibiotic ointment, like neosporin, but, unless they are draining, it's tough to help them without having a vet lance them and give an oral antibiotic.
And, as much as I hate to bring up the food subject.... I have stopped them from occurring on most of my Frenchies by switching to a grain free dog food. Soo, I suspect food allergy does contribute to them forming!

pug with paw swelling ; how about some natural options : Silver shield will be helpful and some Probiotics - to reduce the yeast bacteria in the skin and paws:
1. Silver Shield gel - all Natural - not a drug - Call around for this - made by nature's sunshine.... a vitamin company - sold on line or at many health food stores: apply to areas 2 x per day - don't worry if she licks it off... again, not toxic
2. Probiotic - acidophilis 1 billion CFUs - again all Natural - give 1/2 per day for a few months. GETS rid of Excess yeast.
3. a good allergy blaster supplement:
French bulldog with allergies:
en.allexperts.com
Also, wipe the paws - every day - a few times - with an unscented baby wipe

Molly

One of our Am Staffs gets the same thing. It happens when she is stressed and licks her paws excessively. Usually it goes away with some antibiotic ointments and a little TLC. What my vet said is that it is a reaction to both her licking and her being stressed. If your vet is not giving you answers you might want to consider setting an appointment without your dog to sit down and talk to him or her or consider consulting a different vet.

Molly answered on 7/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer