My previously behaving dogs are turning into monsters!

I have 3 dogs, aged 8, 7 and 2 years old. They used to behave themselves when I was away from home for a few hours (e.g. to go to work). However, during the past couple of months they will chew everything they find, empty the trash bin, destroy items, even chew my cigarettes, when they stay on their own even for half an hour!
I tried yelling, living them in their room, not giving them treats as they are used to, leaving them out on the balcony for a few hours, forbidding them to climb on the sofa, as punishments, but nothing seems to work!

Asked by Member 1146788 on Dec 27th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Well they could be bored or they could have some anxiety issues. Do you exercise them really well before you leave for work and give them some stuffed kongs or puzzle toys to work at while you are gone? Have you tried crating them so they can't destroy everything? The people at the behavior and training forum might be able to help, since you can have a back and forth there.

They probably need something they're not getting: exercise or stimulation.i would certainly crate them for the time being if I couldn't be home. Try puzzle toys or having someone pop in to visit them while you are out. Maybe take them for extra-long walks or to the dog park. Would one or more be interested in a "job," like protection or agility training? And I'd dog-proof the house, walking through each room and putting out of reach any object that the dogs might enjoy dismantling. This is especially true with cigarettes, which are poisonous to dogs.