Close X

My poodle has taken to eating feces, not his own as much as others, like rabbit and other dogs. what can I do to stop it

Asked by Member 844883 on Sep 23rd 2009 in Coprophagy (Stool Eating)

Well, I know that if your dog is eating his own feces then feed him canned pumpkin or pineapple. I would call your vet and just ask. I am not saying that this is a serious medical problem, however, because it's not.

Hope this helps!

Lots of Licks,

Jet answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is not to safe as it can be a great way for your dog to pick up parasites and other nasties like coccidiosis or giardia. The best way is to teach a good "leave it" since it's not practical to race ahead picking up any poops you find.
Leave it is a great command for stopping your guy from getting into almost anything. And, it's pretty easy to train! Start at home on leash with a tasty something on the floor. When he reaches for it, say, Leave it, and immediately give a treat from your hand and tons of verbal praise. Keep this up, increasing the distance and increasing the value of the item you want left... for example, work up to chicken or a hot dog or the like. Remember, this training won't happen overnight AND, it will only work if you are there to give the command, but I am assuming if he's eating other dog poops and wild animal poops you must be out with him.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

keep him away from poop

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer