My Pom is losing fur! help?

Helllo, I have a six year old female Pom. Over the last two weeks she has been losing her fur. Its to the point were she has no fur on her body, She has fur all around her face, on her tail and around her neck. From the neck down to her behind she is missing a lot of fur. I have been afraid to take her to a vet because Im scared they will tell me she is dying, but she doesnt seem like shes dying. She runs around, playing eat and sleeping like she normally does. Ive been putting sweaters on her, because It looks like I dont take good care of her. I am taking her to a vet though, this up coming week to get her check out. I just really want to know. Is my Pom dying? She is fully blood Pom. She is Up to date on all her shots, She is always happy. Ive had her since I was 13 years old. I'll be 20 soon I just dont want to loose her, Shes my best friend. Can someone tell me. Is my bestfriend Dying?

Asked by Member 1086221 on Jan 21st 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

You do need to take her to the vet ASAP. I'm sure she's not dying but the condition can be serious, depending on what it is. She could have allergies, mange, or a thyroid problem. All is very treatable only by a vet. Please take her to the vet. Good Luck!

I also do not believe she is dying BUT agree she needs to visit your vet.
There is a condition in Poms where they do tend to lose their body coat. It is usually in certain lines, (families), of Poms. Here is a website explaining it a bit better: littledogs2love.com
There are other sites as well.
There are things that can help her hair grow back, although it usually will not be as full as it was when she was younger...your vet should be able to help you with those treatments.
You might want to read this site and google adult hairloss in Pomeranians and have more information to discuss with your veterinarian when you visit with her.

Teddy 1998-2008

Your pom isn't dying, but may have an underlying medical condition causing the hair loss. Thyroid problems, cushing's disease, skin infections, allergies, etc. are all things that can be ruled out. Is she itchy? Is the skin reddened, bumpy, flaky or greasy? There is also a very common condition in poms called 'Alopecia X' which causes hairloss on the body, usually sparing the head, legs and tail. It is purely a cosmetic problem and doesn't affect the dog, however other medical conditions should be ruled out before assuming this is the cause. www.veterinarypartner.com
This link has some good info on hair loss in pomeranians. Good luck!

Teddy 1998-2008 answered on 1/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer