My Pitbull is still flaky and itchy after using an oatmeal shampoo, Help?

I just got my 15month old pitbull pup about 2wks ago, I've been using an oatmeal shampoo by Hartz because I heard it was good for her coat. She's been bathed twice already (once a wk) but in the last couple days she's been really flaky and itchy. I read that 1tbs of olive oil in food so good for her coat which I did and it makes her coat nice and shiny but her skin is still dry and flaky (and is it good for me to keep adding the olive oil on a daily basis without causing health problems?) What type of Shampoo should I use? Should I use a conditioner on her and if so what kind would be good for her dry skin?

Asked by Member 818360 on Mar 22nd 2009 in Grooming

Best Answer

If you have anything made by Hartz or Sergeants in your home, chuck it out. Their products are crap, and some are downright dangerous. Google "Hartz kills animals" for a website filled with pet owners' horror stories of what these products have done to their pets.

You will want to avoid frequent bathing altogether, as it strips natural oils from your dog's skin. A dog should not be bathed more than once a month, really. Use a pH neutral shampoo, like Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, or a quality shampoo made specially for dogs. Use something that is mild, without any perfumes / fragrances. Products that contain oatmeal, aloe, and tea tree oil are soothing.

Most skin issues (dry, itching, flaking) have more to do with the food you feed your dog than the shampoo you use. Stay away from crappy foods laden with fillers (corn, wheat, and all that junk).

Abby answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

Hi - Pitbulls are prone to skin and coat troubles....
Yes, the olive oil - one tablespoon per day is fine to mix into a good quality food.
Here is what I would do:
1. Get her onto a good food like SoJO - you just add fresh meat or lightly cooked meat...
HOME made hamburger helper for dogs and cats, too.
WE love it at our house: oh, they offer free shipping right to your door
www.sojos.com

2. The Next thing you can do is get a good supplement like this one: see here:
GREAT for skin and coat...
guaranteed to work... or they will refund you.
www.apluspetcare.com

Also, when you change food - you can add some PURE canned pumpkin to help you dog...so she won't get loose poops.
JUST give 2 tablespoons per day of PURE canned pumpkin - for a few weeks...And you won't have loose poops...

Good LUCK
YOU will not need to give special baths with a good food and good vitamin...

Daisy

Putting fish oil in your food will do wonders! Earth bath also has some amazing products. They have a creme rinse which is awesome for dry skin and lots of different shampoos that deal with all kinds of skin issues. My fav is the tea tree oil and aloe shampoo. But there are many others. www.earthbath.com
Pet Smart carries their product.

Daisy answered on 3/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You've had her two weeks, so if you have washed her more than once in those two weeks, its WAYYYY too much and can dry out her skin and make it worse.
One bath a month is sufficient. You can try switching to a fish-based food, or adding a little bit of fish oil to her food. This will take MORE than just two weeks to heal. You need to give it time. If you are feeding anything you can get at Wal Mart, stop. Go to forums at the top of the page and click on it, then click on food & nutrition, and learn about what makes a good food. Skin conditions are often a result of poor nutrition. But please, stop bathing her!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

Healthy shiny coats start within. So what are you feeding her?
A very good diet is going to ease that. Pet foods like Hundenflocken from Solid Gold company or other holistic foods found at petco and other pet stores.
Olive oil isn't going to make it go away immediately I have never used olive oil.
You can also try Solid Gold shampoo it's very good. Or Miracle Coat it is black bottle with kangaroo on front. Very good shampoos with awesome food is going to do wonders. Make sure the soap is throughly out, run them under water alot.
We had horrible winter here so I got one flaky right now, but he's getting old too. That can be factors too.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Levi

You could try using regular baby shampoo its very gentle on the skin! if that doesn't work try calling your vet they might know of something!!

Levi answered on 3/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sounds like a case of too much bathing to me. It is not recommended that a dog be bathed more than twice a month.
For quick clean-ups, you can get a product called "Waterless Bath". It's available at Wal*Mart, I believe.

Feed a decent chow and as little else as possible, seldom if ever bathe the dog, and brush it daily with a soft bristled brush. If you have to, add a teaspoon of regular liquid cooking oil a day to her food. It is a much better source of the linoleic acid than fish oil.