My Pitbull has a bumpy rash?

My 10 year old Pitbull has a bumpy red rash like thing on his back outer leg. It's flaky and the hair around and by the red part is gone. My mom told me to put some neosporine on it to see if it was somthing we could cure. He had bad mange when he was a puppy and we were wondering if it could be some other type of mange? Any clues?

Asked by Member 1137257 on Oct 23rd 2012 Tagged pitbull, rash, mange, bumpy, red, flaky, hairloss in Skin Problems

Answers

I would have a vet look at it. It could be several different things.

Sounds like he may have developed a Hot Spot. Keeping it cleaned out will help get the tissue to scab over and heal up. You can apply a topical hot spot treatment to help... I personally love using PETfection Hot Spots/Wound Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. It will heal up the area quickly and you can use it as often as needed. When I used it on my dog it started scabbing over within 1-2 days. Healed up very nicely! Hope this helps, good luck!