my pit bull is getting aggressive what should i do?

I have a 7 year old pit bull that I have had since he was 6 weeks old. He has always been a very well mannered dog loved everyone and everything. He has helped me to foster baby squirrels and many other orphaned animals. He has in the past year became more aggressive, he growls a certain people and he doesnt really want to do much besides sleep. I am just curious to know if this is just from him getting older?

Asked by Member 1069990 on Nov 11th 2011 in Aggression

Answers

he could just be becoming a grumpy old man, BUT I would schedule him for a vet check-up, specifically aimed at senior dogs. When there is a change in behavior it is always good to rule out the physical.

SNEAKERS

HA "a grumpy ol Man", well maybe, but, 7 isn't all that old.

Keep in mind that he's a Terrier, and if ANY breed needs something to do, it's them !

Walk, Jog, Play more, you could even encourage him to bark at the Postman. Just anything to increase his activity level, AND, that'll increase his life expectancy as well.

SNEAKERS answered on 11/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm with Squ'mey, if he was always gentle and friendly before, something is wrong. I would guess he is in pain from something.

It could be as simple as arthritis pain starting to affect him- dogs in pain often don't show overt signs but become withdrawn and don't like to be touched, will become less active if it hurts to move.

I agree with Bruno and the first poster here... seven is not an old dog and any change such as you are describing may likely be a physical problem.
As for teaching him to bark at the mailman, this will go a long, long way toward improving the public's image of pit bulls, NOT!!! Not a good idea at all!
IF your vet rules out any health issues I would certainly increase his exercise and stimulation levels. Just like a human who is bedridden for a while, the entire body starts to shut down. Begin with a shorter session of play such as tug, or fetch and gradually increase that level to get him back in tip top shape. Most likely with more to do he will be less likely to be grumpy.
But, first of all, get a thorough exam including blood testing for issues such as hypothyroid.

The thing about owning a Pit Bull is that you have to keep socializing and training the dog. This goes for every breed, though. I have a 12 year old and 16 year old dog. Ever since I've been feeding them sardines, the changes have been amazing. Sardines are the food you will get the highest amount of RNA from. Here's some information on the sardines (RNA) -

* All information is from Vitamin Research News*

Dr. Frank reported on his experiences in increasing the life expectancy of two dogs treated with RNA. One dog was a mongrel ages 14 years, the the other was a 16 year old Chihuahua. Both dogs were nearly blind, with hair that was dry, brittle and scanty, and suffered from arthritis and "myocardial weakness." From their appearance their future life expectancy was estimated by a veterinarian to be months, at the most. Dr. Frank treated both dogs with RNA (8 gm daily for the younger dog, and 4 gm daily for the older dog), along with B complex and cod liver oil daily. The health in both dogs improved dramatically after one month, activity increased, and their coats became much softer and fuller. The younger dog died in an automobile accident at age 20, and the older dog succumbed at age 23 from an infestation of intestinal worms. Dr. Frank reported that both dogs were in excellent health immediately prior to these final episodes, and believed that their lives were definitely extended by the RNA therapy.

My dog became grumpy, too. He also had arthritis, had trouble getting up and in and out of his crate, would stay outside for long periods of time (very rare for him), growl/snap at people and other dogs (NEVER does this, so I was shocked), etc. When I started feeding him one can of sardines a day, he became his loveable self again within a week.

If you're really concerned, you can take him to the vet but I would definitely try the sardines. DMG will help too. It's worked miracles for my two, too.

I agree with those who are pointing out that he may need to see the vet. Sudden changes in behavior often point to a medical problem.

Not to belittle the last answer or anything, and I'm sure they didn't mean feeding sardines exclusively, but sardines ALONE are not a balanced diet. It'd be more like a dietary supplement. (I've never heard about the RNA thing myself, so can't give any opinion on that.)

Sanka- I'll Miss You

7 years sounds pretty young for this. Have the dog checked out by a vet. If the dog is in pain, they may start changing behavior. Or if the dog is having vision problems, it may come out in behavior changes.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 11/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer