My old dog is peeing inside...

My 15-16 year old dog has become a inside dog and has just started to peeing inside as well, she has never done it before. She goes to the toilet as she is laying down and doesn't get up. I have found her sleeping in her pee two times. I have made a schedule where i take her outside to prevent any more accidents but she still seems to pee during the night. I do not have a doggy door for her to go in and out of... does anyone have any suggestions?

Asked by Member 826273 on Apr 14th 2009 Tagged olddogpeeinginside in House Soiling

Answers

The Pawsee

I would take your dog to the vet to have her checked out . Something is not right with your dog.

The Pawsee answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, the vet. A hormone capsule a week took care of Aster's problem when she was older. Your dog may have a different problem with a different fix.

Max (aka Sebastian)

At that age, it could very well be a health issue rather then a house training issue. Often times when dogs become much older they have incontinence issues, and if so she may not even realize she is peeing when it happens at night or when she is laying down.
You can buy products to help with the mess. I have seen wraps that are similar to cloth diapers that wrap around the dog to help catch the pee.
I would take her to the vet though so she can be properly diagnosised and treated.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It sounds like your dog has either a urinary tract infection or urinary incontinence. My dog has had both. There is medications to cure a UTI and there is a medication to help control incontinence.
Take a urine sample from your dog and take her to the vet. Have the vet test the urine sample.

Kahuna

Take her to the vet ASAP. She doesn't want to lie in her own urine, but she obviously can't help it. It's either a UTI or just that she's old and can't hold it. Possibly has arthritis as well, maybe why she's not getting up after.

Kahuna answered on 4/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Misty

well your dog is definitely up there in age. It sounds like an age thing to me. You could contact your vet and have her checked, but I noticed my maltese who was 15 when she died, just before, was urinating and pooping a lot in the house. I think it could just be a control problem and old age. Good Luck!

Misty answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer