Violet

My normally friendly dog is suddenly growling at other dogs on walks, help?

My German pointer x Mastiff Violet is 2 and a half years old, I've had her since she was a puppy and she's always loved other dogs, in the last few days she has suddenly started to growl and snap at other dogs on walks when they come up to sniff her and she sniffs them back like normal but then she growls and snaps at them. I don't know why she's doing it, normally I can let her off leash at the dog park and she runs around and plays with all the other dogs so this is highly unusual for her. When she growls I respond by saying a firm 'no' and walk away from the other dog.

The only thing we've been doing differently on our walks lately is I've changed the brand of gentle leader I use after the old one broke, but she still did the same thing on collar, we've also started walking for 2-3 hours a day instead of our usual hour to an hour and a half walk.

If anyone knows has any suggestions of something I need to do differently please let me know, this sudden aggression has got me worried

Asked by Violet on Nov 15th 2012 Tagged growling, walking, suddenaggression in Aggression

Answers

Does she growls at other dogs when she is with you? If that is the case, then she is being protective towards you.