My mom has a pomeranian, he had a stroke and cant seem to calm him down...the vet gave him lorazipam but its not helping

Asked by Member 1145343 on Dec 15th 2012 Tagged stroke, lorazipam, health in Illness & Disease

Answers

Molly

I would reccomend for your mom to take him to a different vet, because the vet who gave him the lorazipam obviously did not give him the right medicine if it is not working. He may be having another stroke, which, since his medicine is not working on him, I would consider and emergancy. Take him to the vet right away, but not the same one who gave him the medicine. The vet can see if he is having another stroke, and after he is treated, he/she can tell you if they need to take him off of the lorazipam or if he should still take it with another compatible medicine.
Hope This Helps!

Molly answered on 12/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually, I would also suggest a second opinion... true strokes are extremely uncommon in dogs and usually lead to depression and lack of movement, not over excitement. What sort of testing was done to point to a stroke???
Lorazipam (atavin) use in dogs is questionable, there are much better choices to be considered with a much better outcome in a dog and with less side effects. If he were mine, I would be finding a different veterinarian for a second evaluation and opinion.

i think inwould also have him looked at by another vet. To much here just does not sound right.