my little yorkie was bitten by another big mixed breed.

On 03/08/10 while coming back to our apt. my 7lb 2 year old yorkie by bitten by a big dog. I didn't know that the wound would be that bad. I ending up paying $700 for surgery. I told him about the cost of the vet visit and asked him to help me with part of the bill but he refused saying that its not his or his dog fault . So pls tell me if this is my fault that my yorkie has to suffered with the pain. How do I make him pay?? Where can I report and who should I report this issue to?This is not the first time that his dog bite. The owner told me.

Asked by Member 976436 on Mar 22nd 2010 in Animal Control

Answers

First, I think more information is needed to determine who is truly at fault.

The owner may not want to admit fault because he knows the dog might be removed from his care or euthanized if he has a long record of biting other dogs or people.

If you want to report him, you can report the bite to animal control in your city or town. they will take care of the incident report and remove the dog if necessary.

As for the responsibility, was your dog on leash? Was his?

For example, if your dog was off leash and ran up to the other dog who was on leash, then I would say that was your fault.

But if your dog was on leash, well behaved and his dog was off leash and attacked your dog, that's clearly his fault.

Ultimately, the fact that his dog bit you IS his fault, but there ARE some circumstances that could mitigate that fault.

Hope your dog is doing better, poor baby!

As Jack mentioned, report the incident to animal control or police department. Should have been reported on the day of the incident. Laws are different from place to place. Animal control can fill you in on the law, your rights, and your responsibilites.

Good luck, and I hope your baby gets well soon.

You should go to your local shelter and report the bite to them give exact dates and times. Make sure your vet makes a big report for you with all the details of the dog the owner and the damage the dog did to your dog.
If your dogs are both off leash he may be held for half the damages.
If you have witnesses you will have to tell them that also. If you don't know names but want to ask some of the people if they saw it and would like to help you you can use them to testify.
not sure of your local laws about on leash off leash but if your dog was on leash then he could be liable to pay the entire bill. Time to start doing something to build your case up.
good luck
Make sure you tell the shelter the owner said he has bit other dogs or people before he will have to answer to them and they might already have info on this which will help you make sure it doesn't happen again.

Buddy

You should tell the person that if he doesn't pay you'll take him to court, if tat doesn't help, then you should sue.

Buddy answered on 6/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer