Harper Lee

My little dog constantly play attacks my black lab. Lab accepts being bitten and barked at. WHY??

Asked by Harper Lee on Jan 6th 2009 Tagged littledogharassesbigdog in Aggression

Answers

Nibbles

I would consider the lab very good natured and knows the puppy is playing. If the puppy gets out of hand the older dog will discipline him. At the very least he will get up and walk away thus ending play time.

Nibbles answered on 1/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

It could be that your little dog is the alpha in your pack. That isn't dependent on size. OR you have a patient lab.

Trust me, when he's had enough, he'll let the little guy know.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If your little dog is still a puppy, he's probably never been "told off" by another dog for being a jerk like that and your lab is a more submissive type, who will never tell the little dog when he's outta line.

If that's the case, you need to step in and help the lab by letting the little dog know that while it's okay with the lab, it's not okay with YOU.

Try stepping between them and pushing the little dog gently away while saying, "ah, ah, ah" instead of no. Try that for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Stormy

Older (and bigger) dogs will most of the time allow younger (or smaller) dogs to climb, bite, chew, poke, and play with them and not bat an eyelash because its really not a threat to them. While its great that she is so playful, most other dogs may not be so nice. YOU need to teach her that abnormally rough or annoying play is not tolerated. She may also be the alpha in the pack in which case the lab probably wont do anything back. But I suspect the lab just knows its play and is VERY tolerant. As noted before, YOU should step in to correct the behavior when you think your lab has had enough or she is getting too rough. Dogs like to bark and poke at another dog to initiate playing, but it sounds like the lab has no intention of playing. lol

Stormy answered on 1/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer