My landlord are saying I have to give away my dog

My family recently rented a house and before me and my bf moved in we asked the lanlord if dogs were allowed because we have a 6 month old american bulldog the lanlord kept saying she will ask her husband but never got back to us so a week after moving in with my pup her husband comes in saying no dogs,allowed and we have a month to get rid of her then they bring they write no pets on the lease that I did not sign im so mad right now I love my dog and spent sooooo much time energy and money for her and on her what are my optiond is it crazy for me to want to move because of a dog

Asked by Member 1123385 on Aug 29th 2012 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

no its not crazy to get atached to a dog and it ok that people get attached to dogs every now and then and if i was you id move to a place that allows dogs though

Star BN RN RA

Contact a lawyer, it is important that you have a copy of the lease. If the lease says dogs are allowed and it does not have a size/breed limit then you should be fine. If the lease does not mention dogs the lawyer would have to advise you more on where you stand.

Star BN RN RA answered on 8/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well it is not bad that you are attached to your dog, that is normal for you and any other owner of a dog, and if I was you I would move out of there asap.

Zack

I'm confused. Did someone else in your family rent the house and you just live with them? If so, they should have told you when you asked about moving in that it said "no pets."

If someone knowingly signed a "no pets" lease for that property, even if they didn't tell you about it, then your only options are to move or rehome the dog.

If someone signed a lease (and has a copy) that does not mention pets, and the landlord added that statement later without telling anyone, then you may have a case for the tenant's board or a lawyer. Usually the lease has a clause stating how changes are to be handled, and usually they have to give you so much notice and ask you to sign again.

If no one has signed a lease yet, then it's your choice to move or sign and rehome your dog. But if it says "no pets" and you sign it, you can't keep your dog there unless the landlord has a change of heart.

Good luck! Rental housing friendly to large dogs can be hard to find.

Zack answered on 8/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lincoln

Well, I see two things here that are not aboveboard. First, the week after you move in-- you are informed "no dogs"---not right. Then, you didn't see the "no dogs" on the lease? I do believe You will have to move in order to keep your little dog. Frankly, I would anyway--as any time you live there will be fraught with problems and resentment towards the landlord. Why live where you aren't happy--and you sound like you dog means A LOT to you. It's their properties--their rules. Check out agencies that tell you where pet friendly rentals are in your area. Money is a BIG issue but I don't see any peaceful way out of this. I hope there is a solution for you.. I really do! Best Wishes!

Lincoln answered on 9/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

You are not crazy for thinking of moving for your dog. Our dogs are like our kids, and we would never give a kid away would we? Renting is complicated, and having pets can make it even worse. I agree with the other posts, suggesting you find a new place. Before we purchased our home, the first thing I would ask a landlord is if they allowed dogs. If so, make sure they put it in the lease that will allow your dog. NEVER sign a lease without it saying pets are allowed. Best of luck to you, and your dog.

Bella answered on 9/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

get someone else to keep her at there house and you can still go over and play and see him and you provide the needs

Zoey

maybe you should, make your "pet" into a "companion animal" get a doctors note. Doctors sign for anything now a days, landlords have to follow FAIR HOUSING RULES AND REGULATION. & if you have a doctors note saying its okay to have a companion animal-your american bulldog- for yourself to treat depression, or for your kids, then you are by law allowed to keep it. hope this helps hun (:

Zoey answered on 1/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer