Holden

MY GSD PUPPY JUST SWALLOWED A RAW BEEF MARROW BONE...HELP!!

Hi and thank you in advance for your help!
I have a 5 month old German Shepherd dog. He is on a raw diet & is doing great on this diet.
I have been giving him beef marrow bones to chew on...he gets VERY bored in the house and it is one of the only things that will entertain him for more than 10 minutes (and he gets about 3 to 4 hours of excersice and mental & physical stimulation daily). I know it is dangerous for teeth but he chews slowly and doesn't bite down hard.

I just gave my maltese and my GSD marrow bones. My maltese left a lot of meat and marrow on his so i gave it to the GSD and when i looked at him 5 minutes later it was gone! I guess since it was smaller he just swallowed it!! It was maybe 3 or 4 inches long, maybe 2 or 3 inches wide. This happened a few minutes ago, he seems fine, chewing on his other marrow bone but I am SOOO worried. What can I do? I know they digest bone, but i don't know if he will digest this or if it will cause a blockage!
I read to give metmucil ?

Asked by Holden on Oct 2nd 2011 Tagged marrowbones, bones, emergency, beefmarrowbones, swallowed, blockage, help in Raw Food

Answers

SNEAKERS

First of all, I would recommend that you supplement his Raw Diet, with a good grade Dry. So many times we aren't aware of any nutrient deficiencies when "we" choose what they eat. Having a good grade Dry Food, will cover those more completely.
The swallowing of that bone, us usually linked to Resource Guarding, and it happens quite frequently. Given the size of the GSD, your description of the Bone probably isn't going to become a problem. He may vomit a little, until he processes it, and if you want to make sure his dietary needs are met for the next couple days, you might make a special broth.
That's done by using a Raw or Dry foods, putting them in a Blender with a little water, and making something he can lap up. Processing this food stuff to a watery/pasty consistency, will allow it to pass around the obstruction easier, and keep him healthy until this situation passes.
Just keep an eye out for Bones which are getting small enough to sallow, this may happen again.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If that bone is 3 to 4 inches long and 2 to 3 inches wide there is no way he is going to be able to digest it.
I would contact my vet right away on the off chance they can get it out with endoscopic equipment BEFORE it causes a blockage.
Are you SURE he swallowed it and it isn't just under a couch or something? That is pretty big to swallow!
As for feeding him kibble as the previous poster suggested, I would be way more worried about him getting proper nutrition from kibble than from a balanced prey model raw, not to mention all the additives and chemicals which you cannot even pronounce!!

This is one thing I'm not completely certain about, but I wanted to comment on the supplementing with kibble thing.
There are raw feeders that do feed half kibble, but it's really not necessary IMO. If you wish to keep a closer eye on his nutritional intake, there's a spreadsheet you can use: www.dogster.com