My GSD puppy is 50 days old. Can I give him pedigree?

My GSD puppy is 50 days old. Can I give him pedigree?. If I can then exactly how much (in Gram or amount, not cup) should I feed him ? His weight is 4 Kg (8 Lbs)

Asked by Member 1079055 on Dec 25th 2011 Tagged food, pedigree, gsd in Pet Food

Answers

Pedigree is not the best out there, but if you have trouble getting something with more meat and less filler it will be okay. Your best bet is to keep him on what his breeder was feeding him, if possible.
GSD's have very sensitive digestive systems so try to avoid switching foods as much as possible.
I don't know how many grams are in a a cup, but he most likely should be getting 1/2 to 3/4 cup four times a day, as I stated in a previous question.
Since he has had bowel issues it is best to rest his stomach today then start with LESS tomorrow and gradually work up to that amount.
Remember, he should eat it all within 10 to 15 minutes, pick up what he doesn't finish until his next meal.
Also remember his adult size is genetically programmed...over feeding him WILL NOT make him bigger in the end, it will only stress his growing bones and joints and digestive system. You want him to grow slowly and evenly. Too much food is only going to mess his whole system up and cause problems.

that's not a food to feed a german shepherd dog gsd.

I suppose you could, but there are better foodstuffs for dogs out there. Here's a helpful little article about what to look for in a food: www.dogster.com

I know that young puppies are supposed to eat three times a day. I'm not sure how much you're supposed to feed, though. With an adult dog, you can look at the suggestions on the bag, feed a little less than they recommend (they usually recommend too much), and a week later see if you need to adjust the amount by checking your dog's weight. (Feel the ribs. At an ideal weight, you should be able to feel them fairly easily. At ideal weight you should also be able to see a waist when viewed from above.)
I'm not sure if that would work for a puppy or not.

Seth

You would want to make sure it is puppy food for a dog that age. But if it was mine. I think I would look for some food that is not full of by products and fillers. I gave my last few puppies nutro puppy food and it worked well for me. All of them became champions in the show ring while eating it.

Seth answered on 1/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't feed him Pedigree, that's not a food I'd feed any dog. Pedigree is filled with corn, soy, by products and has no nutrients whatsoever. I recommend feeding a high quality food such as Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen or Sojos. However, feeding a raw food diet would be the best diet for him. If you're interested in feeding a raw food diet, check out this Dogster thread for more information - www.dogster.com