My golden retriever only chews on my girlfriends stuff!

My girlfriend and I moved in together about 2 months ago and my dog (Chief 1yr 6mnths) has been very destructive to her things. He has recently chewed up her cell phone, and chewed up her replacement phone! Also, he only really targets her items and not so much mine. Could this be a jealousy issue? Help!

Asked by Member 1108295 on Apr 29th 2012 Tagged destructivegoldenretrieverrelationshipgirlfriendyoungchewing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Shasta

Dogs will chew on their owners things because when they get 'bored' and 'miss their owners' so-to-speak, they find things that smell the most of them. So think of it as basically her saying that she likes your girlfriend the most to be chewing up all that stuff! ;)

I'm not sure on ways to stop it other than giving her toys/chewbones/etc and confining her when she's not being watched. (My dogs are all outdoors so we don't have to worry about anything chewed up for the most part)

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer