My golden retriever lab mix sheds way too much? I've brushed her etc but want to shave her Any issues with this?

I have some heavy duty clippers if i want to try and do it myself.. thanks for your help

Asked by Abby on Apr 10th 2008 in Grooming

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

Please if you do it get a professional groomer. Dogs are squirmy and clippers are sharp, and if you cut or knick in certain places there can be a lot of blood.

But I wouldn't do it at all. Double-coated dogs need their double coats. It protects them from the elements (sun, too). If you're having shedding problems, see if there's a better food you can feed, and if you weren't using an undercoat rake to brush, get one. I use the Furminator and while it's an expensive piece of equipment, it's been invaluable.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 4/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

My mom had a Golden and she used to brush him every day with a curry comb (like you use with horses) outside. It worked really well for his hair, but Goldens are just going to shed.

Miss Buddie answered on 4/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

As a groomer you can do anything that you want to do with your dog. Keep in mind that shaving your dog is not going to make it stop shedding. It is going to shed shorter hair. The shorter haisr is much harder to get off of things!! I know I have 3 shorthaired dogs and I wish there was an easier way to get their hair off my furnature.
Extra cleaning and brushing and baths will help keep the shedding down. Out of all of my Golden clients about 80% of them wanted their dogs shaved for the summer time.They would shave now and agian in 3 months and then let the coat grow for the winter time.
It's all up to you the mommy!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 4/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shedding is just one of those things that come with having a dog, unless you have a breed that doesn't shed or sheds very little.

There are a couple of things beyond brushing that you can do to help with the amount of shedding. However, you have to expect some shedding to remain, especially during this time of year when they blow their coats.

One thing you may want to consider is the impact the food is having on your Abby's coat. If you feed a commercial brand that has a lot of fillers (corn, wheat, food coloring), you will see more shedding than on a quality food like Canidae or Solid Gold.

Supplements are another option. A good fish oil supplement along with Vitamin E can make quite a difference in the dog's coat and amount of shedding.

I always recommend against shaving a dog. Dogs need their fur, not just to protect them from the elements, but also to regulate their body temperature. Shaving dogs puts them at risk.

KABX  loves Sammy

Our KABX sheds a lot! We just established that we can pick up the fur with the brush regularly or with the vacuum or our socks :P I would say it is better to keep the brushing up to date.

KABX loves Sammy answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer