My golden retriever is 15 years old she keeps wetting herself. Should she be put to sleep?The medication is not helping

My golden retriever is 15 years old, she keeps wetting herself. The whole house is being destroyed on top of it smelling to high heavens. Should she be put to sleep?The medication is not helping. The doctor game me Vetroprofen for her joints and another medication for a urinary tract infection. Medication is done but the problem has not gone away.

Asked by Member 851415 on Jul 3rd 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

♥Seika Sue♥

I am so sorry you have to go thru this. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make. I had a 16yr old shepherd that started losing control, we worked and tried everything. He finally would just lay and pee. After 4 times in one day. I knew it was time. Afterwards I pulled up the carpet and put down a hard floor. I have 4 graves in my backyard. All but one had to be put down due to some kind of old age problem. The one I found dead was the hardest one, because she passed alone. I wasn't there for her when she crossed over. I feel so much for what you are going thru. My prayers are with you.

♥Seika Sue♥ answered on Jul 3rd.

Answers

Kayak

I'm sorry you are asking this question. The answer is really in your gut. You know your dog and your dog knows you be aware maybe he's trying to tell you something. You have to go by what you really feel however hard it may, or may not be to feel it.
Perhaps your vet can try another medicine or something too.
I'll be thinking of you.

Kayak answered on 7/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

try some doggie pants I believe they have a pad that goes inside the pants so you change it
The putting to sleep is solely up to you, if you feel the dog is suffering badly then it is something to consider.
It is what you feel in your heart is right thing to do.

The answer really lies within you and it's such a difficult decision to make. A question you can ask yourself is whether the dog has a decent quality of life. Is she able to get up and walk around still and socialize with your family? Does she enjoy going outside still?
The doggy diapers are a good suggestion.

You will know when it's time, most likely.
I hope the decision is clear for you.
Good luck.

Perhaps your dog has incontinence? If so, a medication I use for my incontinent GSD is Proin.
Have a vet diagnose her again, first though.

I can understand this one, but perhaps you could try just once more?