Jill

My German Shepherd has skin allergies, how often should I bathe her?

My German Shepherd has skin allergies, we know that she is allergic to hay and flea bites out of process of elimination. We are in the process of switching her to a holistic food. The vet has prescribed Prednisone to help with the excessive scratching, biting and cleaning but it really knocks her out (she even wet herself while sleeping while on it). My question is how often should I bathe her? The excessive cleaning causes her to stink really bad, and I recently had a professional groomer bathe her with a very good (very expensive) shampoo, and we noticed that this held off the excessive scratching, biting and cleaning for much longer than we have ever observed before! I just don't want to over do it and make things worse.

Asked by Jill on Oct 16th 2011 in Bathing

Answers

my 2 yr old gsd has had 2 official baths in his whole life. He does not smell, the house does not smell, & he is clean..he is all white so easy to see if there is skin probs, fleas, dirt.
Too much bathing can strip the natural oils & lead to itchiness & skin issues. Using the good products should help restore the balance.
I would avoid bathing her again until you have finished transitioning to the new food. That way you can better judge the effect of the food; since too much bathing can lead to itchies.
Can you talk to your vet about a lower dose of Prednisone?

Petri

Depending on how bad her allergies get, you can bathe her every 4-6 weeks. If you don't want to go that often, you can use a wonderful product call PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray to use in between bathings. It is 100% Organic and will help cut down the on the grease and help with her itching in between the professional grooming. Spray it all over her body or wherever she is having bad allergies and rub or brush it down into her coat. You can use it as often as needed. I love it and hopefully you will find it to work well for you to!

Petri answered on 10/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

J

One of the many vets my dog has been to over the years precribed Prednisone for her which was horrible. She did not even seem like the same dog -- super lethargic and generally unhappy. I found another vet who proposed a different course of action.

If your dog has an odor definitely look at quality dog food brands with ingredients like salmon, venison, duck, etc. I have my dog on a probiotic supplement to improve and strengthen her overall health.

In terms of ear and skin products, we use the Zymox brand because the treatments are gentle but really effective for dogs who have severe allergies and skin issues. It's a hard and lengthy process finding the right products for a pet, so when I do I try to share.

J answered on 3/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer