My friend's dog won't warm up to me, please help?

One of my best guy friends adopted a one year old Chihuahua (possibly mixed) about a week and a half ago. This dog is very well behaved, is absolutely IN LOVE with my friend (they bonded very quickly), and is shy around people when he first meets them but warms up very quickly.

Around me, however, it is a different story. The first time I met this dog he growled at me, refused to get near me, let alone allow me to pet him. In the time since my friend adopted the dog, I have been around the dog about 10 times or more... some days I feel like we've made progress, others not so much.

I'm an animal lover, and have never had this issue before, animals love me. I'm very confused, I want nothing more than to be friends with this little guy. The only thing I can think of is that I remind him of someone who hurt him in the past before he was rescued (breaks my heart). How can I get this dog to trust me and realize I want to love him and would NEVER hurt him?

I'm female, in case that matters

Asked by Member 1164637 on Apr 11th 2013 in Fears & Phobias