Caspian

My friend's dog got hit by a car

My friend has 2 mini poodle mixes. One male and one female. They are his therapy dogs. The male dog, Skippy, was a rescue and he is very "grumpy" and he doesn't like people very much. A few days I got a call saying that Skippy got hit by a car and they are taking him to the vet right now. He is doing a lot better now. No broken bones, he was just banged up. I was just wondering if this accident will affect his behavior. Will it become worse?

Asked by Caspian on Sep 30th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Shasta

Generally traumas won't affect behavior too much, he might have more fear-triggered aggression though. A dog doesn't remember past like a person does, so you shouldn't work about it too much, and definitely don't focus on it. Dogs only care about here and now, so if their owner is freaking about "oh I hope he doesn't remember..." The dog will only pick up on "oh, mama/daddy looks nervous....I should be too! Grr grr grr!"

Make sure he has a strong, calm, gentle, confident pack-leader who will be there when he's recovered. Dogs pick up on their leader's every move/thought/intention, so the WORST thing you can do is baby him in hopes of keeping grumpiness at bay.

I am so glad he wasn't hurt worse (as my 2yr old APBT wasn't so lucky when he got hit....sleep well, baby cakes), hope he gets all better soon!

Shasta answered on 9/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

What a great answer Shasta has given, and I agree almost 100%.

We need to remember, that Dogs temperament/attitude is a LOT like Humans. Some people are friendly, and other standoffish. That is not a "bad" behavior, just one that is not "appreciated" under certain circumstances. And, trying to change/alter that in a Dog, is just as hard as it would be in a Human.
I have both Friendly and ill-tempered Dogs. When I have guests over, I put my Males up in their room, and let loose the Females, who will impress anyone with their kisses and rubs.
When everything settles down again, it's "Reek Havoc, Let Loose the Dogs of War"!, as the Males are released, and I feel SO safe, knowing they're keeping an eye, ear and nose out to keep me safe.

They are Tools, and should be used properly.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Not really but abuse and torture can. As long as he is in the same loving and caring environment, all would be good.

I don't think this accident will affect your dog's behaviour. It will not become worse.