My Foster Dog won't eat dog food at all, help?

We have been fostering her for almost three weeks now, she refuses to consistently eat anything but cooked meats. I can't do any kind of exercise because she's on crate rest for spinal injury. She's 7-8 year old Female chihuahua. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 600250 on Sep 14th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Have you tried mixing the dog food in with the cooked food? You can also try adding chicken broth (low sodium) in with her food. Good Luck!

For people who cook for their pets and feed them scraps, according to a UC Davis vet school study, 95% of the dogs and cats studied did Not get the optimum protein, vitamins and minerals that they need. Dogs are smart and will refuse food until you cave and give them what they want. Try raw, dog food in rolls, wet mixed with dry in different flavors (fish, turkey etc.) until you find a winning combination. If you decide to keep cooking, discuss this with your vet to get recipies, suggestions and make sure she is getting the nutrition that she needs! ^_^

Ah, the picky dog. I have one of these and it can be kind of nerve wracking, like having a one year old child. You can't really explain to them the consequences of their pickiness and you can't make them eat, but you can't let them starve because you're not a jerk.

I'd try mixing the meat in with some food and then slowly reducing the meat and increasing the food. Sometimes the low-salt broth trick works and sometimes it helps to heat it up in the microwave. I would also ask the rescue's vet which supplements they suggest to ensure she's getting proper nutrients. One big thing that dogs lack when they eat raw or home-cooked meals is calcium. If you can grind up an eggshell and get that in her, it'll help.

Try feeding her raw. Dogs that feed on raw have cleaner teeth, stronger gums, develop good digestion, shinier coat, and has no bad breath.

My 9 mos. old chi is starting to walk away from her food also. I sprinkle a pinch of cheese from a bag and she eats it. This may not be the best thing to do but so far it is working.....